Importing Content Types and Columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Is there a preferred method to bulk import/create Content Types and Columns into SharePoint 2010? I know that PowerShell has a lot of options, but I wanted to see if there was a direct method similiar to using a pre-formatted .CSV file to import terms into the Term Management Store.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• Well, you can always use CAML to do that. Create a new Feature, include an Elements.xml file where you define your Site Columns and Content Types using CAML.
    Regards,
    Chakkaradeep || SharePoint Developer - MCTS SharePoint Dev, WSS Dev
    http://www.intergen.co.nz || Twitter: http://twitter.com/chakkaradeep || http://www.chakkaradeep.com
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:40 PM
  • You can import terms into the Term Management Store, the page also provides a sample template that you can use to figure out what sort of depth you want in your terms, if any.  You do need to be an Administrator on the page to do the import, you can usually add yourself in when you get to the page.

I've done this with CSV files as a starting point for the Taxonomy, which was good since it gave me a standard from which to start all of my installs.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:36 PM
  • CAML is the way to go with the content type and site columns.  If you need help getting the necessary CAML, you can export your site definition as a .wsp and then import that .wsp back into Visual Studio 2010.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Does this mean that you have to export the entire side definition, including web parts and libraries and stuff like that?  What if all you want to export are the site-wide content types and their corresponding columns that have been created as a part of the taxonomy.   And, do you have to be a programmer type to use CAML?

Thanks! Patti N.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Does this mean that you have to export the entire side definition, including web parts and libraries and stuff like that?  What if all you want to export are the site-wide content types and their corresponding columns that have been created as a part of the taxonomy.   And, do you have to be a programmer type to use CAML?

Thanks! Patti N.

You don't need to export the entire Site Definition, you can choose to simply create the Site Columns and Content types in CAML. You do not necessarily have to be a programmer to do this in CAML but it would be far,far beyond the average SharePoint power users capabilities to do this however.

However I assume that this is being done to move Content Types and Columns across farms (dev, test, prod) otherwise you should be using Content Type Publishing which will expose content types across the entire farm, removing the need to do this in CAML in the first place

Cheers

Blog: www.sharepointanalysthq.com Twitter: @michalpisarek
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Actually, I'm looking at it from more of a migration standpoint.  Going from WSS to SharePoint 2010.  We don't want to take sites because, well, they're a mess in WSS.  But, if I create new content types and site columns in WSS for use in libraries, until we get SharePoint 2010 up and running, I don't want to have to rebuild them manually in 2010 if I can avoid it.  Do you need Visual Studio 2010 to do the CAML thing?
    Thanks! Patti N.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 7:21 PM