How to push numbered text with keeping its original alignment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using MS-Word 2010, and I have two questions please:

1- If I have a numbered text as in the figure below, how to push it all to the right by one tab with keeping its inner alignment of each line.

2- In the same numbered list, how can I push subset of lines into right direction with keeping there lines numbers aligned at the same level of other numbers, and with keeping there inner alignment as well?

Thank you so much in advance,

Best regards.

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

• Changed type Max Meng Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:18 AM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:53 AM

Answers

• For #1, the simplest approach is to change the page margins. If that doesn't achieve what you want, you will need to change both the paragraph indents and the left-most tab-stop by the same amount. If you're using paragraph Styles to manage the indents, you only need to do this once for each Style; otherwise you need to do it for every paragraph.

For #2, see my comments in #1 about changing the paragraph indents and the left-most tab-stop.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:18 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:54 AM

All replies

• For #1, the simplest approach is to change the page margins. If that doesn't achieve what you want, you will need to change both the paragraph indents and the left-most tab-stop by the same amount. If you're using paragraph Styles to manage the indents, you only need to do this once for each Style; otherwise you need to do it for every paragraph.

For #2, see my comments in #1 about changing the paragraph indents and the left-most tab-stop.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:18 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:54 AM
  • For more on indentation for auto-numbered lists, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:23 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I came up with a fix that worked for me, though it is a little odd.  First I made sure that the beginning of the text was aligned correctly to the number.  Then I typed in as many periods (....) that would align the second row text.  I then formatted the font color as white (as the paper I would print on would be white).  Much less cumbersome than looking up help online and trying the fixes that don't work.  Hope it works for others.  I tried typing an example but it wouldn't align right to even show you.  Argh!!
    • Proposed as answer by Wordfrustrated Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:28 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:26 AM
  • I came up with a fix that worked for me, though it is a little odd.  First I made sure that the beginning of the text was aligned correctly to the number.  Then I typed in as many periods (....) that would align the second row text.  I then formatted the font color as white (as the paper I would print on would be white).  Much less cumbersome than looking up help online and trying the fixes that don't work.  Hope it works for others.  I tried typing an example but it wouldn't align right to even show you.  Argh!!

Sorry, this is not an answer that will work for many people. See 4. Use Tables and Tabs to Arrange Text in Microsoft Word. Whether one is using the space bar or periods turned white, it will not give consistent alignment with anything other than monospaced text. It will make any future editing very difficult.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:08 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:28 AM