none
Not able to find objects of a trusted domain

Question

• Hi

We have three domains in our organization and all three are trusted each other. Trusts are validated and in place. But from one of these domain we cannot search and find any type of objects of any trusted domains through ADUC. It will not show up any objects of other domains even if the object is present. However, in ADUC I can change domain and see the structure and objects of other domains. This issue we are facing only in our major domain. In other two domains find option is working very well.

Please help.

Shanif Salim

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Shanif,

How did you create trust relationship among the three domains?

If there are domain A, domain B and domain C. If you want to the three domain trust each other, you need create two-way trust between domain A and domain B, domain A and domain C, as well as domain B and domain C.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:30 PM
  • It has created exactly as you said and there is no problem in authentication. problem is, from domain A we cannot search and find any objects of domain B.

Shanif Salim

Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

You have a problem with your DNS resolution, check zones for each domain to be active directory integrated and secondary in the other domains. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771652(v=ws.11).aspx.

Best regards

Saturday, April 8, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Will check the DNS resolution and update the thread. Anyway I am not able to open the link you provided. 

Shanif Salim

Saturday, April 8, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Hi

I have checked the DNS resolution and found everything is working properly. Is there anything specific I need to check? Please help.

Shanif Salim

Saturday, April 8, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Hello,
    I made a mistake typing: it's not DNS resolution, but DNS Configuration error.
    I fixed this error last week with a customer having the same problem.
    Can you provide more information. You have 3 domains:
    - Domains A, B and C. Which OS for each domain controllers? at least Windows 2008 R2?
    - Each domain is in his own forest, right? If not, provide the configuration, and there will be several ways to fix the problem.
    - In each domain, what is the type of zone (AD or secondary)

Let's say Domain A has in it's DNS servers the zone domainA.com that is Active Directory integrated.
    Domain B has in it's DNS servers the zone domainB.com Active Directory integrated.

If Domain A has in it's DNS servers the zone domainB.com AD integrated, you are facing the problem you have

1- if you have Windows 2008 at least, in Domain A, configure domainB.com as conditional forwarder
    in Domain B, configure domainA.com as conditional forwarder
    2 if you have Windows 2003, in Domain A, configure domainB.com as secondary zone and point to DNS of domain B
    also, in Domain B, allow zone transfer to DNS in Domain A
    3- do this for all domains.

4- reestablish trusts

Best regards.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply

All DCs are running on 2012 R2 and the domain and forest functional levels are 2008R2. Each domains are in it's own forest.

Each domain has it's own AD integrated zone and stub zones for other two domains. In other words, Domain A has it's own AD integrated zone and stub zones for Domain B and C. Likewise Domain B has it's AD integrated zone and stub zones for Domain A and C. same for Domain C as well. As I said earlier this problem we are not facing in Domain B and C but in Domain A.

We have successfully  reestablished the trusts already but that did not help in this issue.

Shanif Salim

Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Hello Salim,

If it's Windows 2012 R2, in Domain A use conditional forwarders for zones for Domain B and C.

Do the same for domain B and C.

This is your issue. Stub zones is not the good way according to Microsoft.

I had the problem between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 AD and fixed this browsing problem using secondary zone.

Check here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770907(v=ws.11).aspx

Best regards.

Monday, April 10, 2017 4:16 AM