Exchange 2013, configuring client access to Exchange 2007 public folders RRS feed

• Question

• I just read an article about configuring legacy public folder access for Exchange 2013 users to access Exchange 2007 Public Folders
         http://www.exchange2013.es/on-premises-legacy-public-folder-coexistence-for-exchange-2013-cumulative-update-7-and-beyond/

I currently have the "PublicFolderDatabase" field set on my 2013 databases, but going to change one of them today, I get the message that this field has been deprecated.

So, it looks like I need to make changes using set-organizationconfig to configure user access to legacy publicfolders.
    Looking at settings that should be made, I am looking at configuring using.....
         - PublicFoldersEnabled Local
    My legacy 2007 and 2013 Exchagne systems are in the same organization.
         - RemotePublicFolderMailboxes pfmb01,pfmb02,pfmb03
    But wait, the write up on technet says that the remote mailboxes are only used if the public folder is deployed in a remote forest!!!!

If thess fields refer to remote forests, and the publicfolderdatabase field is being deprecated, how am i supposed to refer my 2013 users to legacy, same org, public folders???

Tom

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:37 PM

Answers

• I have received confirmation that the Set-OrganizationConfig documentation will be updated to reflect that "Remote" also means intra-organization cross-version application as described in the blog post.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention, you have helped make things better.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Tom_Slycke Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:45 PM

All replies

• Does this help you?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2014/11/07/on-premises-legacy-public-folder-coexistence-for-exchange-2013-cumulative-update-7-and-beyond.aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:24 AM
  • heh, if you look, your link is the same as mine.

They tell us to...

• From a CU5 or later Exchange 2013 Server: Use the Set-OrganizationConfig cmdlet to assign the legacy public folder discovery mailbox(es) to the RemotePublicFolderMailboxes value of the organization. 
    • From a CU5 or later Exchange 2013 Server: Use the Set-OrganizationConfig cmdlet to set the PublicFoldersEnabled attribute of your Exchange organization from Local to Remote.

However, reading the TechNet page on the set-organizationconfig command, the parameter for PublicFoldersEnabled, if you set it to REMOTE, you are telling the system that the public folders are in a remote forest. My public folders however, are in the same organization.

Will telling Exch 2013 that the folders are remote, will that confuse my system? Or has the function of the command and intent of the parameter changed with CU7 ?

Tom

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:28 AM
  • It looks like you have a valid point.  I have submitted feedback via a couple of channels.  Please consider adding your own feedback at the bottom of the cmdlets documentation page.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:03 AM
  • in the meantime, while the set-database command has the -publicfolderdatabase parameter, CU7 give the error that this parameter is deprecated. ( parameter may be a little mistyped here, its something like that. )

Is the parameter meaningless now? or just on its way out in later releases?

Tom

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:22 AM
  • That's what the documentation says, and it's probably related to the Set-OrganizationConfig settings.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:33 AM
  • Hi,

If the public folder remain in Exchange 2007, please set PublicFolderEnabled parameter to remote in Exchange 2013 server. Once, you migrate public folder to Exchange 2013, you have to change it to local. Otherwise, your Exchange Organization still thinks it should direct Public Folder traffic to a legacy server.

It also de described when migrating public folders to Exchange 2013 from previous versions, for your reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:17 AM
  • I have received confirmation that the Set-OrganizationConfig documentation will be updated to reflect that "Remote" also means intra-organization cross-version application as described in the blog post.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention, you have helped make things better.

• Marked as answer by Tom_Slycke Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Thank you Ed for working on this with me.

I appreciate you reference to "Migrating PF to Exchange 2013", but we are going to try to avoid adding our conglomeration of PF to 2013. We will be migrating ours to 2010 so we can get off of 2007 though.

Thasnk1 again!!!

Tom

Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:59 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hey Ed ( or who ever else trips across this ),  here is a little more detailed question about configuring the PFDiscovery mailboxes.....

CURRENT CONFIGURATION / CONDITION

We are on the tail end of a Exch 2007 to Exch 2013 migration.
    We have the majority of our users migrated to Exch 2013 but will be leaving our PF infrastructure in Exch 2010
    Our environment currently has Exch 2007 PF servers (4)
    We are currently working on implementing Exch 2010 PF servers (2).
    We have the Exch 2013 databases configured with the PublicFolderDatabase referring across our four Exch 2007 PF servers and do not have the organization PFDiscovery mailboxes defined.

We will not be replicating all PF folders to Exch 2010 because we are going through business transitions and will be deprecating more than half of the folders we have.
    Because of the number and volume of our folders, we do not want to maintain replica copies. So, when we identify folders that we will be keeping, we want to move the replica to Exch2010 without maintaining a copy on Exch2007.

We just created our first Exch 2010 PF database and discovered, lo and behold, that you cannot create a PF referral from Exch2007 to Exch2010 PF.
    We determined that the Exch 2013 users can access both the 2007 and 2010 folders if the 2013 MDB has the PublicFolderDatabase configured as one of the two 2010 PF servers. ( and PF referrals to Exch2007 PF servers are in place on the Exch 2010 PF DB )

CURRENT PF ACCESS SOLUTION

So, to keep PF access working using the mailbox database PublicFolderDatabase setting, we will
    - User mailboxes left behind on the Exch 2007 system only need access to the 2007 folders. So the Exch 2007 MBD will continue to have the 2007 PF DBs defined as their default PublicFoldetDatabase
    - Exch 2013 MDBs will be configured with the PublicFolderDatabase as one of the Exch2010 servers.

PF ACCESS SETTING MOVING FORWARD

Per the new methodology for Exch 2013 configuration of access to legacy PF, we will be using set-organizationconfig to configure the PFDiscovery mailboxes and setting the PublicFoldersEnabled to REMOTE.

QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED

- (A) Does the new PF Autodiscovery refer the client directly to the PF server that owns a folder being accessed?
    --or--
    - (B) Does the new PF Autodiscovery refer the client directly to a random PF server which will then provide referrals to the correct PF server as needed?
    I suspect (B), in which case we could only configure PFDiscovery mailboxes for the Exch 2010 PF servers and exclude the Exch 2007 servers, right? ( Because if initial contact is a Exch2007 server, referrals to Exch2010 PF will not work)

Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:07 PM
  • I recommend you post this in a new appropriately titled thread.

Friday, September 18, 2015 4:13 AM