Disable Fast Boot on Lenovo Yoga because computer group policies are not applied RRS feed

• Question

• I am evaluating Windows 10 for our company. We use group policies and preferences extensively to configure our machines. I have successfully deployed WIndows 10 TP to desktop and virtual machines with WDS.

Now with our latest addition to the fleet, the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, I am running into a snag...

It deploys succesfully and joins the domain but boots very fast to the login prompt and no computer policies are applied. As a user I can login and get all my settings.

I have the feeling it keeps using a 'fast boot / rapid start" even when told not to do that... 

GPUPDATE /Force gives an error for the computer.

What I have tried sofar:

• POWERCFG /H OFF is given in the master image and POWERCFG /A shows hybernations is disabled. This alone should disable fast boot...
    • Shutdown from the Win-X menu or with Shift pressed should force a 'full startup'.
    • Local Group policy editor: System\Shutdown\Require use of fast startup - Disabled
    • Registry editor: HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Control\Session Manager\Power\HiberBootEnabled = 0
    • Updated the BIOS and searched for a setting, maybe it is a system and not a Windows thing??? (Getting pretty desparate now...)

etcetera, etcetera...

It is very, very annoying... AV is not installed, WMI not enabled, no Firewall exceptions for remote management etc.

• Edited by UniMatrix Friday, January 30, 2015 6:51 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it just the single PC had this problem? In my opinion, there is no relationship between fast boot and GP applied, because GP was applied during user logon, not system bootup.

Is there any error message when gpupdate /force works failed? Please check network connection between this PC with AD DS. This problem can be caused by network communication with DS.

On the other hand, you can try to remove the PC from Domain and readd it for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:38 AM
  • Hi Roger,

I had already tested DNS and network connectivity between the PC and the DC's and also removed an rejoined the PC from and to the domain to no avail. Also re-imaged it to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

As you are probably aware not only user GP exists but also computer GP, like software deployed on a per-machine basis or other per-machine settings, none of which are applied. A widely used machine setting for managed systems is "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" which is also ignored. I have also enabled verbose messages so it would normally show messages like 'applying software installation settings' etc. at computer startup, which it doesn't. It just boot to the logon prompt in like 5 seconds.

When a user logs on however, all policies and preferences are applied as usual which leads me  to the conclusion no problems exist with the GP infrastructure.

When using the same WDS image on a Hyper-V VM or a physical desktop machine these problems do not occur.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Issue is also present on Lenovo desktops we recently acquired.

This is a serious issue, when we cannot apply group policies and preferences at the computer level we cannot / will not deploy Windows 10...

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:51 AM