Allow user to install new hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    Is there a way to allow users to install new hardware?
    "Server2003"

Im using HP SSM for automatic driver update.
    I run ssm.exe as admin so user get rights to install the drivers, but after installetion somtimes they get a popup "Found new hardware" and admin rights are needed.

Anyone that knows some workaround?
    • Edited by tp_tp Friday, September 11, 2009 7:15 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try examining the Group Policy Setting:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Load and Unload Device Drivers

However, the right to do this does give the user quite a bit of power, so I would be cautious on who you give it to -- employees at your firm, probably OK if you have IE controlled and good AV in place, but definately not at a public machine.

Luck,
    Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Try examining the Group Policy Setting:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Load and Unload Device Drivers

However, the right to do this does give the user quite a bit of power, so I would be cautious on who you give it to -- employees at your firm, probably OK if you have IE controlled and good AV in place, but definately not at a public machine.

Luck,
    Aaron Sankey, Avanade

Actually, I have tried the "Load and Unload Device Drivers" option, and got some bad results.
    For some reason the drivers I hade trouble with before, now was not installd at all. Only the ones working before was!?

Isnt that odd!??

Before the "Load and Unload Device Drivers" policy, every driver was installd but wasnt always working until I enterd admin permissions.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Is there a way to make this work?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:15 AM
  • I was suggesting you give users "Load and Unload Device Drivers" rights.

To understand what you are saying -- You did this and it uninstalled their drivers?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I was suggesting you give users "Load and Unload Device Drivers" rights.

To understand what you are saying -- You did this and it uninstalled their drivers?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade

Yes, i gave them the rights.
    No, it didnt uninstall the drivers. The drivers vas not installd at all.

Before i gave the rights the drivers would install but for some drivers there was a popup window "Found new hardware" but the drivers works anyway.
    I want to get rid of the popups so I thought it would help with "Load and Unload Device Drivers" rights, but that made it worse!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:06 PM
  • That is unfortunate...

If you are just looking to supress the popups, you can do that with this:

WinXP (it specifies Embedded, but its the right key for XP and Vista)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940877(WinEmbedded.5).aspx

Windows 7
    http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24993-disableenable-balloon-tips-in-windows-7/

As far as the actual driver install, that GP key is all I could think of -- outside of granting Administrator rights.  So, I would check to see why it isn't installing the hardware. 

Are you pushing out the driver installs with SMS/SCCM?  Do you have them pre-installed, and when the user logs in, they get the popup?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:23 PM
  • That is unfortunate...

If you are just looking to supress the popups, you can do that with this:

WinXP (it specifies Embedded, but its the right key for XP and Vista)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940877(WinEmbedded.5).aspx

Windows 7
    http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24993-disableenable-balloon-tips-in-windows-7/

As far as the actual driver install, that GP key is all I could think of -- outside of granting Administrator rights.  So, I would check to see why it isn't installing the hardware. 

Are you pushing out the driver installs with SMS/SCCM?  Do you have them pre-installed, and when the user logs in, they get the popup?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    Tryed "Start_NotifyNewApps" key with value "0" but the popup is still there.

Im using HP SSM for automatic driver update.
    I run ssm.exe as admin so user get rights to install the drivers, but after installetion somtimes they get a popup "Found new hardware" and I need to fill in admin Username and Password to make it disappear.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Setting the "EnableBalloonTips" key is the only idea I have left :(

I hope, both that you haven't tried it, and that it does what you need...  If not, then I think I let you down :P

Maybe, the desktop guys can give you a work-around?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Setting the "EnableBalloonTips" key is the only idea I have left :(

I hope, both that you haven't tried it, and that it does what you need...  If not, then I think I let you down :P

Maybe, the desktop guys can give you a work-around?

Aaron Sankey, Avanade

unfortunately, I tryed and it didnt help
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Try the Vista or Windows 7 forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

And, good luck,
    Aaron Sankey, Avanade
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:56 PM