none
Excel Power Query Timeout Error. Pre-Login Handshake Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Please see the attached snips from excel. I am trying to connect to a database via "New Query" in excel and received an error. Please note, I can access this database using SQL.

Thank you

Codernater

Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Codernater. This indicates the connection timed out. We recently added an option to the option record to increase the connection timeout, and it will be available in an upcoming release. Do you get this error consistently, or only sporadically?

Ehren

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:11 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Codernater. This indicates the connection timed out. We recently added an option to the option record to increase the connection timeout, and it will be available in an upcoming release. Do you get this error consistently, or only sporadically?

Ehren

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:11 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

I have the same problem since I got a new laptop.

I've build several query's on the SQL database of our ERP while working from home (via VPN - connection limited to +/-5 Mbps).

On the new laptop WIN10 (vs WIN8.1) and Excel2016 (vs Excel2013) installed.

It is now impossible for me to run my queries in Excel2016 via VPN.
    At the office, connected to the company network direct, (+/- 20Mbps), I can run the queries, although 1 query on a very large database was 'hanging' (no timeout but no more records processed after first 100) and I had to optimize/rebuild the query statements (move the date filtering to the beginning of the query).

I urgently need a solution for this timeout. When will this option to increase the connection timeout be available?

In general my observation is that Get & Transform is a lot slower than the Power Query in Excel 2013.

Best regards,

Dirk Verliefden

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:36 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

We recently released the fix for this issue (which involves allowing you to specify a custom timeout) in Excel 2016.

If you are an Office 365 subscriber, you can update to the latest Excel version through File > Account > Update Option > Update Now.

Ehren

Monday, June 26, 2017 5:07 PM
    Owner