WSUS- System not responding after a proper working over a period of time. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have wsus 3.0 sp2 installed on windows server 2003 , I was able to connect all the systems in the office to this server. For some reason We have kept some laptop without using for few days and we started using it with changed name , The name appeared in the console , But it didnt report the status , still it says Status not yet reported( After a month also).

Another desktop in which we reinstalled windows and I made changes so that it will connect to the server , It connected , again the same , It connected but not updating the status.

Please find the screen shot

Gss-mys-1115-1 and gss-mys-desk4 are the two I am discussing. They run windows 7 prof OS. 

I have already tried out deleting the entry and executing wuauclt/detectnow and resetauthorization commands , and also changing the name of the system , any new idea?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Sunil Meti,

We may check the following things:

1. Check the related registry keys on client, verify if they are all correct;

2. Check firewall settings, test if turn off firewall could work;

3. Reset windows update component on client:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

4. Also test the network connection between client and the WSUS server, check the ping result.

5. On WSUS server, run Server Cleanup Wizard.

> I have wsus 3.0 sp2 installed on windows server 2003

Besides, it is recommended to upgrade your WSUS server as soon as possible in order to get better support.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:32 AM
  • Hi Anne , 

I will perform all the above and let you know the result,

Point 4 and 5 , are working fine.

Can you suggest the KB name for wsus 3.0 sp2 update , I got one 

KB2938066

Do i need to apply this or any other?

Thank you

Friday, April 1, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Hi Sunil Meti,

>Can you suggest the KB name for wsus 3.0 sp2 update , I got one KB2938066

Is your server Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. If not, the KB is not application.

Actually, I suggest to upgrade your server OS, since server 2003 is out of date, we are hard to test for 2003 servers in our lab.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hi Anne,

We can not change the OS as of now, can you suggest ways to tackle this problem being on windows server 2003.

Thank you.

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi Anne,

Despite performing all the above steps , I was unable to see the status reporting of the system ,

Can you please suggest some more techniques that I can perform to make it working.

Thank you.

Monday, April 4, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hi Anne,

A pointed be noted , when I have run the cleanup wizard , I have selected the option to delete the systems that haven't connected over 30 days , even these systems which I have mentioned were not reported for more than 30 days , after successful run of wizard , still those systems appeared in the console , what does this mean?

Thank you. 

Monday, April 4, 2016 9:50 AM
  • >> still those systems appeared in the console , what does this mean?

You must enable the "Last Contact" column to be able to see the last contact date and time:

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Monday, April 4, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Hi Rolf ,

After running Windows server clean up wizard  , it has to delete the systems from the console which haven't connected to systems since thirty days right ?. But they didnt get deleted.

How come?

And where does these Last seen option actually , to enable what you said.

Thank you

Monday, April 4, 2016 1:32 PM
  • >> And where does these Last seen option actually , to enable what you said.

Monday, April 4, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi ROlf ,

I have enabled Last contact option , As we can see in the screen shot , those two systems have contacted the server today , then why is status not reported?

Thank you

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:17 PM
  • It could be that those devices have a corrupt local database.

On those two devices you could try this:

1. Stop the "Windows Update" service.

2. Rename (or delete) the %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Start the "Windows Update" service.

4. Run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi Sunil Meti,

Try the method provided by Rolf that rename SoftwareDistribution folder.

If it still doesn't work, also try reset SUSClientId on client:

In cmd, run net stop wuauserv;

Open registry key:

HKEY_LOACL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

delete value in "SusClientId" and "SusClientValidation".

In cmd, run net start wuauserv; then run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:51 AM
  • >> If it still doesn't work, also try reset SUSClientId on client:

This can not be the SUSClientID problem. It will not stop a contacting device from reporting.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Hi Rolf,

>This can not be the SUSClientID problem. It will not stop a contacting device from reporting.

Yeah, this method is generally used to solve the issue that clients don't show up in the WSUS console due to duplicate SUSClientId.

While since I almost run out of my thoughts (perhaps re-index WSUS database) to solve the issue that clients don't report to the WSUS server (I list several methods in my first reply), so I post it here, just as an attempt.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. And appreciate it if you can keep eyes on this post.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:59 AM
  • If none of the proposed actions works, checking the %WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log on the problem device(s) for errors would be the next step. 

Don Pick has a comprahensive WUA error reference here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Hi Anne/Rolf

The methods that you have mention regarding SUSclientID and softwaredistribution folder , I have done it before also , Now also I have done, So shall we move on to next solution , I am waiting to see the system report status , I hope this wont work since I have already experienced it.

Thank you

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:36 AM