Small issues with the GUI. RRS feed

• General discussion

• These are small issues, and are fixed by simply going to the window/program manually.
    Sometimes, when opening a program (it doesnt matter what it is, be it MS Paint, Internet Explorer, or Open Office) if there are other programs or windows open and maximised, I need to use the taskbar to get to the newly opened interface.
    When having Windows Explorer open to a folder and then starting a download it has occasionally set Windows Explorer on top of everything else. It's much more common when the download folder is the same folder as I am viewing in Explorer.
    IE : I am looking in C:\Users\<user name>\Downloads and I click on a link for a new download. The windows switch to Explorer and I much select the download "pop-up" to start downloading.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:14 AM

All replies

• This issue can be caused by software confliction. Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If issue persists, please let us know if it also occurs in Safe Mode.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Well, it's nothing major. Plus, in light of another issue I have (autoarrange being forced in folders) I removed Windows 7.
    I could narrow it down to the programs installed fairly well though. Most likely it would be the anti virus I had running.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:15 AM