Changing storage location from local to not local RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I change the storage location in WSUS from local to not local, when will the WSUS content folder be deleted?

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (Danish blog)
    Microsoft MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS Configure Exchange 2010, MCITP Server Administrator 2008
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA
    IT Service Management ITIL Foundation Version 2011

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:43 AM

Answers

• The WsusContent folder has now been reduced from 300 GB to 100 GB.

It seems to have been a mixture of plain time and the WSUS "server cleanup wizard" that did the job.

Regards,
    Allan Kjær (my cv | my blog)

• Marked as answer by Allan Kjaer Friday, November 6, 2015 1:55 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• you can use wsusutil to move content to a different location... if that is what you mean.

Take a look at this article for more info.

Gleb.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:45 AM
  • you can't move wsuscontent to a network share or another server and it's also unsupported

it must be local

some people map an iSCSI target from a SAN or NAS to work around the issue, otherwise build up a new server with more local storage on it

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi Gleb,

No, I don't want to move the folder.

I've changed WSUS to NOT store all updates locally - clients should download directly from Microsoft Update. I thought that WSUS would then delete the WsusContent folder (which is currently 300 GB in size). It didn't.

Is it safe to just delete the folder?

Regards,

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:42 AM
  • you changed the client-side policy to go out to the internet to get updates? that won't change anything with respect to the wsuscontent folder

if you don't need wsus anymore, uninstall the role and then you can delete the folder

if you want to continue using wsus, you can't get rid of the folder but you can maybe clean it up by unselecting the products and categories you no longer want to download in the wsus options

run a cleanup wizard and if that doesn't help much, execute a reset using wsusutil which will purge out the extra data (and re-download the rest)

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Hi Armin,

If I still need a 300 GB WsusContent folder, then what is the point in changing the download location to Microsoft Update? I already tried resetting WSUS, it just downloaded the 300 GB once again.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:35 PM
  • i'm still unclear where you have made the change?

are you referring to WSUS synchronization option or you're referring to the WSUS server's local windows update settings to go to Microsoft Update instead of WSUS?

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Hi Armin,

I changed the setting on my WSUS Console ==> Options ==> Update Files and Languages:

Regards,

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:12 PM
  • try following the sequence of steps listed here as i believe the behavior would be to flush out the data in wsuscontent folder. the database however may not shrink
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hi Armin,

It's only possible to see the solution if you buy access, right? I don't have that.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:05 PM
  • The WsusContent folder has now been reduced from 300 GB to 100 GB.

It seems to have been a mixture of plain time and the WSUS "server cleanup wizard" that did the job.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Allan Kjaer Friday, November 6, 2015 1:55 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 1:55 PM