Archive – Delete older data RRS feed

• Question

• Using Outlook 2016 – Archive

My client uses Outlook Archive. Outlook Archives messages older than 14 days places those messages in Archive.pst

Is there a way for Archive delete all messages in the Archive.pst file that are older than 24 months?

Friday, August 31, 2018 11:55 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the update. Technically, AutoArchive should work on the archive.pst file. You may try enabling AutoArchive for one of the folders in your Archive.pst file to verify this.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Playpar Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 6:35 AM

All replies

• You can create a Search Folder in your Archive and specify the Criteria on the Advanced page like:

Field -> All Mail Fields -> Received on or before and set the 24 months old date in the Value.

You'll get all emails that are older than 24 months in this folder. So, you can easily delete all of them using its context menu (Delete All).

Alexei Kuznetsov,
    More than 150 free add-ins for Outlook

Friday, August 31, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Any chance this can be done automatically? As she will never remember to do it. 
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Any chance this can be done automatically? As she will never remember to do it. 

You can enable AutoArchive for the folders in the Archive.pst file and set the AutoArchive setting to "Permanently delete old items". Right-click the folder and select the AutoArchive tab to get to your AutoArchive settings.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 3, 2018 7:45 AM
  • We want to auto archive all messages in all folders in the Outlook.pst file every 7 days to the archive.pst, this works. But now we want to permanently delete everything older than 24 months from the archive.pst. 

Will Archive do this? The AutoArchive dialog box is a bit confusing (for me) so I'm sure about it.

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Thank you for the update. Technically, AutoArchive should work on the archive.pst file. You may try enabling AutoArchive for one of the folders in your Archive.pst file to verify this.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by Playpar Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 6:35 AM
  • I will see if I can get her to try this but she is afraid of loosing messages that she wants to keep.

I will mark this a answered - Thanks

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:12 AM
  • My pleasure :-)

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:22 AM