ACDC tool App-v Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm  using ACDC tool to troubleshoot and configure applications on App-v client. I've noticed that in the tool under applications currently in cache we see GUID of the applications. I opened properties of one app in App-v client Console and saw that the Package name value is actually GUID of the package and not the Package name defined e.g. in OSD file. This value is also written in registry HKLM\Software\Microsfot\softgrid\ver\Client\Packages\{GUID} string Name.

If I change Name string value to real Package name e.g. Office 2010 then also the properties in App-V Client Console and in ACDC tool change and I see Package Name: Office 2010 and not the GUID of the package.

Does anybody have any information to way this is so and will this be changed in any future versions.

Muchas Gracias,

Ales

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:21 AM

Answers

• If you are using full App-V infra, then I'm afraid that App-V Client only sees the GUID as package name. I don't know why that is exactly, but probably it's due to it not importing through sftmime add package -command which seems to be only way to make App-V Client show package name as name instead of GUID.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 4, 2010 11:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 3:23 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• I've not seen this issue before, how does the name appear in your OSD files?
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:30 AM
  • In OSD we have a names of the packet e.g. office2010. Did you try to run ACDC tool? What I have decribed is by desgin.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Using ACDC 1.1 and App-V client 4.6, the package name is displayed when viewing the Applications tab in ACDC. The same name also appears in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Packages\{GUID}\Name value.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:35 PM
  • I have noticed that when importing App-V packages using Sequencer generated MSI file results App-V Client seeing only GUIDs as package name, whereas packages distributed with SCCM shows actual package name as specified in the OSD.

I have had no time to investigate this, but I suspect that likely reason is that MSI does not issue sftmime add package:... command, whereas SCCM Client does when it imports the package to App-V Client.

/Kalle

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I've made a clean install of app-v client 4.6 and in ACDC I still see GUID of the package and not the name :(.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Ales,

What is your method of bringing virtual applications to the client? Full App-V infra, MSI, SCCM etc.?

/Kalle

Monday, September 27, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Hi Kalle,

Ful App-v infra. Is there any way I can upload pictrues or send them to you so that you will see I'm not messing with you guys :).

Thank you,

Aleš

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:16 PM
  •  
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Is there any way I can upload pictrues or send them to you so that you will see I'm not messing with you guys :).

You'll have to host the picture elsewhere and use the HTML edit to insert using HTML codes.
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:38 PM
  • If you are using full App-V infra, then I'm afraid that App-V Client only sees the GUID as package name. I don't know why that is exactly, but probably it's due to it not importing through sftmime add package -command which seems to be only way to make App-V Client show package name as name instead of GUID.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 4, 2010 11:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 3:23 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Opposed to Kalle I only have seen that behaviour when NOT using the "full infrastructure" mode. Namely when using the App-V generated "Publishing MSI" in Stand Alone mode forces ACDC to only show the Package GUID instead of the "friendly" Package name coming from the OSD.

What Deployment method are you using?

Falko
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:18 PM