Can EMC (2010) connect to a specific server? RRS feed

• Question

• When launching the Exchange 2010 SP1 management console via citrix, by a user in a site that has no Exchange 2010 server, the console seems to connect to a random Exchange 2010 server (example - a user in Ireland launches the console from a citrix site based in the U.S., and the console connects to an Exchange server in Australia, despite there being multiple Exchange servers in the U.S. site, but none in Ireland). This causes a problem, since the Australia Exchange servers have no connectivity back to the domain controllers in Ireland.

With that in mind, is there any way to force the console to connect to a specific server, in this case one of the servers in the U.S.?

When I right-click on the "Microsoft Exchange On-Premises" node and choose Properties, there is an option to connect to a specific server, but when I click the Browse button, the resulting dialog box is empty (and we have 14 Exchange 2010 servers in our environment).

I'd even be happy if there's a way to hard-code the console on the citrix server to always connect to the same server - is there a way to do that, maybe in a config file or is there an initialization script that runs when the console is opened?

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:04 PM

Answers

• Mike,

Please have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549183, the issue with no servers showing up in EMC picklist is fixed in Sp1 RU6. You should be able to test it with upgrading the machine which has the Exchange 2010 management tools.

Let me know how it goes and for any other quries.

Thanks,

Santhosh

• Marked as answer by Mike Koch Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:29 AM

All replies

• Open the EMC.

Right-click on the ON-Premesis part and go to properties.  You can specify a server to connect to here.

J

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Hi

As far as I know, you can modify value in the registry
       HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\AdminTools\NodeStructureSettings (REG_BINARY key)
       Check the value on your target server and your EMC client.
       backup and modify value on your client. It should be the same as value of server.
       But you can not search your server by EMC. It seems to be network problem.
       You can read details from this case.
     http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/cef4a010-0a64-40a7-8601-1539ffdb2568
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:03 AM
  • I mentioned this in my original post, and it doesn't work. Selecting Properties shows you the name of the current server in a non-editable field. You can click the Browse button, which should bring up a list of servers, but instead brings up an empty dialog box. Entering a server name there does nothing.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I'm not sure I'm comfortable modifying a binary key. In addition, this problem affects several users on a citrix server, which has a couple hundred user profiles, so I'd have to find the correct node for each of them. 

Thanks for your help, but I don't think I want to go down that path. There's got to be a better way, an easier way.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi 
       Your case has be escalated to senior engineer. Maybe he can find better way.
       Please wait his reply.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Hi Mike,

At startup the EMC uses the Discover-ExchangeServer function from script ConnectFunctions.ps1 to locate a suitable Exchange 2010 server to establish a connection (to answer your first query for the initialization script).When you alternatively connect a server using the properties option in EMC, it searches for the available Exchange servers in the ORG.

In your case, you are not seeing any results in the search option, which is an issue with RU3 I guess (need to verify). I am a novice in Citrix, I am not sure how the apps work from the citrix app. But I would first check if I can open management console or shell working from the citrix server.

When you manually specifiy a server to connect to, what error do you get in return? Also, you may try Exchange management shell as it is easier to troubleshoot with.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Santhosh

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

If by "not seeing any results in the search option", you are referring to the results of clicking the Browse button in the properties dialog of the "Microsoft Exchange On-Premises" node, then I just want to make it clear that this behavior is consistent across all consoles, not just the one in Citrix. I've verified this behavior on every Exchange server in the environment. In each case, clicking the Browse button brings up a "Select Exchange Server" dialog that states, "There are no objects to select." I can type a server name into the Search: field, but since there are no servers listed, this has no effect.

All Exchange servers are running Exchange 2010 SP1 with either Update Rollup 4 plus an interim patch for the UR4 bug, or Update Rollup 4 v2.

If it helps move the conversation along, let's ignore the citrix angle. Even from my local workstation, I'd like to be able to connect to a specific Exchange server in another site.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Mike,

Please have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549183, the issue with no servers showing up in EMC picklist is fixed in Sp1 RU6. You should be able to test it with upgrading the machine which has the Exchange 2010 management tools.

Let me know how it goes and for any other quries.

Thanks,

Santhosh

• Marked as answer by Mike Koch Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

As a matter of fact, I just installed the management tools on my workstation yesterday, along with Update Rollup 6, and can confirm that the list of servers is populated, and I am able to connect to the other servers in our organization. I'll just have to install UR6 on our citrix server, and that should resolve our original problem.

Thank you for your time and effort. It is much appreciated.

Mike

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:09 PM