Word 2013 crashes because of navigation pane and hidden font in heading style. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a specifications document that was originally created by a program in 2002 version of office or earlier. It has around 500 pages and is organized with many (around 8 heading styles).  One thing that sometimes must be done is that one of the heading levels must be hidden in the body of the document.(We do this by editing the style and then editing the font to apply the hidden effect)  This used to work fine, but now in 2013, it only works when the Navigation pane is off or not showing headings.  Otherwise it crashes...  Is this a Word 2013 bug?  Or is there something else wrong?  Is there something that can be fixed in the document?

Thanks,

Ben

Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, this issue might be caused by the compatibility issue between Word 2002 and Word 2013. Please use Compatibility Checker to test, the checker window along with summary of compatibility issues for the current document.

Steps:

• Step 1: Launch the Word document that you want to share with other users.
    • Step 2: Click the File menu and navigate to Info screen.
    • Step 3: Navigate to Inspect Document section and select Check Computability from the Check for Issues dropdown list.
    • Step 4: Click the Select versions to show option and pick the version from the list.

Then, we can convert your document to the Word 2013 file format. The Word Convert command clears the compatibility options so that the document layout appears as it would if it had been created in Word 2013. If the file is in .doc format, the Convert command also upgrades the file to the .docx format.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Word-2013-to-open-documents-created-in-earlier-versions-of-Word-609bbdba-96f2-407b-baaf-d8e53d60d34f

I hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I’ll be glad to further assist you.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:05 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 5:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, this issue might be caused by the compatibility issue between Word 2002 and Word 2013. Please use Compatibility Checker to test, the checker window along with summary of compatibility issues for the current document.

Steps:

• Step 1: Launch the Word document that you want to share with other users.
    • Step 2: Click the File menu and navigate to Info screen.
    • Step 3: Navigate to Inspect Document section and select Check Computability from the Check for Issues dropdown list.
    • Step 4: Click the Select versions to show option and pick the version from the list.

Then, we can convert your document to the Word 2013 file format. The Word Convert command clears the compatibility options so that the document layout appears as it would if it had been created in Word 2013. If the file is in .doc format, the Convert command also upgrades the file to the .docx format.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Word-2013-to-open-documents-created-in-earlier-versions-of-Word-609bbdba-96f2-407b-baaf-d8e53d60d34f

I hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I’ll be glad to further assist you.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:05 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 5:14 AM
  • I concur in the recommendation to try a conversion to native Word 2013 format. This should be done with a copy since I don't believe it can be reversed.

In Word 2013 native format, hiding a heading removes it from the Navigation Pane.

You should be aware that the old Document Map (predecessor to the Navigation Pane) was a cause of document corruption.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:55 PM
    Saturday, September 19, 2015 1:13 PM