Renaming Measures and Dimension Attributes in Perspectives(or somewhere else)? RRS feed

• Question

• I can see that you aren't able to rename measures or dimensions in perspectives which i think its a bit frustrating, as much as it its understandable from a data governance perspective it is also a business reality that different departments can have different definitions for the same bit of data.

Is there any other way to do this in SSAS without having to create a different iteration of each column or measure?  

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your response.

As far as I know, we cannot rename the objects name in perspectives. In your scenario, creating a different iteration of each column or measure should work for you.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your question.

Perspective is a definition that allows users to see a cube in a simpler way. A perspective is a subset of the features of a cube. A perspective enables administrators to create views of a cube, helping users to focus on the most relevant data for them. A perspective contains subsets of all objects from a cube.

We cannot rename the objects in the perspective. However, You do not have to create a different iteration of each column or measure, since they are actually the same thing.You can rename a dimension attribute name in dimension structure of dimension design window, rename a measure name in measure pane of cube design window.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Friday, February 24, 2017 12:17 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 1:59 AM
  • thanks Wilson but that is still what i am hoping to avoid - i would like the cube to service more than one department who might have more than one way of looking at the data.

thanks for the response.

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your response.

As far as I know, we cannot rename the objects name in perspectives. In your scenario, creating a different iteration of each column or measure should work for you.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Wilson is right, you cannot really do this in SSAS. I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but the design philosophy of SSAS is that a single attribute or calculation ONLY has a single name.

As difficult as it might be to achieve, I believe that the better business outcome is to get the different business groups together and get them to agree to a common naming convention. Having the situation where people have the same name for different things or different names for the same thing just leads to confusion.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:08 PM
  • hi Darren i am completely aware of this having worked in BI for a long time, however this is not an IT decision to make, it's a business decision - you can lead a horse to water, however at the end of the day the ownership of the data sits with the business, and how they choose to define it, educated and armed with all the information is essentially on them.
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:13 PM
  • I absolutely agree and I did not mean to imply in any way that this was an easy thing to do. But BI projects themselves should be lead by the business, not by IT. Without support from senior management (ideally with an executive sponsor like the CEO or CFO) it's difficult/impossible to get the consensus required to be successful. 

To have multiple copies of objects with different names in SSAS you need to actually create physical copies which would lead to maintenance head aches.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:17 AM
  • preaching to the choir Darren :)  i am completely aware of everything you have mentioned.

ta

Monday, February 27, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Hi Vanessa,

Please kindly mark the correct replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated. 

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:50 AM