none
I deployed an image and then tried to boot it, but the system tried to network boot instead and then gave me the message "Operating System Not Found"

Question

• Hi all,

Windows 7 Pro 32bit

I have a captured image and I booted into PE on my target system. I used Diskpart:

select drive 1

clean

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs label="Win7 32bit"

assign letter="C"

exit

Then I applied the image with imagex:

imagex /apply e:\testimage.wim 1 c:\

The image applied, but now when I try to boot (After removing the PE boot disc), it tries to network boot and gives me the message "Operating System Not Found. I made sure to reset my boot order to HD>removable>CD>Network.

Do I need to manually create a small partition responsible for booting? What steps do I take from here? I was surprised that googling didn't lead me to my specific problem, but mostly problems involving SCCM and large scale deployments.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• Edited by WhiteVandal Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:12 PM

Answers

• In your diskpart,you need to add

act

To make partition active

After applying image, you need to create BCD environment with:

bcdboot C:\Windows

Note

Drive letter C: is whatever you used in command:

Imagex /apply e:\testimage.wim 1 c:\

If you would use two partition setup as suggested by other posters, then the small 100 MB partition would be C: and the "Windows" partition would be "D:". Hence, you would use

bcdboot D:\Windows
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:45 AM

All replies

• Your hard disk should have two partitions, system and boot. System partition is hidden, sized approximately 100MB partition, that is needed to start Windows operating system.

Boot partition is visible c: drive, where operating system and application are sitting.

Regards

Milos

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

is there the USB stick in your computer? Unplug the stick and boot again.

Regards,

Tim

www.directoryadmin.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:49 AM
  • In your diskpart,you need to add

act

To make partition active

After applying image, you need to create BCD environment with:

bcdboot C:\Windows

Note

Drive letter C: is whatever you used in command:

Imagex /apply e:\testimage.wim 1 c:\

If you would use two partition setup as suggested by other posters, then the small 100 MB partition would be C: and the "Windows" partition would be "D:". Hence, you would use

bcdboot D:\Windows
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:45 AM
  • It's possible to keep all of windows 7 in one partition, but you'd have to start over and click some 'advanced' settings.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I first created a seperate partition for boot, marked the main partition as active and used bcdboot. This worked, but I didn't want a second partition if I didn't need one, so I followed Les52's steps with just the c: drive and that worked, too. Thanks to all who replied.

Now, are there any downsides to just having the one partition as opposed to having a seperate 100MB partition for boot? I don't see any difference.

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:41 PM
  • The other partition is for recovery.  But in my case I would just reimage the computer.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:56 PM
  • you need to do the following:

Diskpart:

select drive 1

clean

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs label="Win7 32bit"

assign letter="C"

select partition 1

active

exit

Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:24 PM