Displaying a document library as a web part in different SharePoint sites RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am creating a document management solution using SharePoint. I would like to be able to store all the information in a central document library and then display sections of that information to the relevant team's SharePoint site. I can't find a way that will allow me to do this the way I want.

I am aware of features such as the site roll up, RSS and content query web parts. However, is there any way of making a document library in one site available as a web part in another site?  I know you can add a document library as a web part to a page in the same site as the document library but is there a way of adding a document library as a web part to a page in another site?

Also, does the content query web part work with the Knowledge Base list?

I think it is bizzare how SharePoint only allows you to add content as web parts within a site and not cross site.

Help on this would be appreciated.

Alex, sharepoint developer

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:41 AM

Answers

• The short answer is no. As you already noticed, you cannot use List View webparts cross sites.

As you already mentioned, you can overcome this limitation by using site roll up, RSS and Content Query web parts. Or you can use DataView web part to get documents through a web service (_vti_bin/Lists.asmx).

Content Query Web Part works with *any* list or document libraries.

I would not recommend this, but another solution is to develop a custom web part possibley using SPGridView with SPMenuTemplate to emulate a Document Library. You can use SPSiteDataQuery class to query against multiple document libraries or list, get the data, and bind the result to the SPGridView with nice custom menus created by SPMenuTemplate. This is an expensive approach Smile
    Friday, April 11, 2008 1:22 PM

All replies

• The short answer is no. As you already noticed, you cannot use List View webparts cross sites.

As you already mentioned, you can overcome this limitation by using site roll up, RSS and Content Query web parts. Or you can use DataView web part to get documents through a web service (_vti_bin/Lists.asmx).

Content Query Web Part works with *any* list or document libraries.

I would not recommend this, but another solution is to develop a custom web part possibley using SPGridView with SPMenuTemplate to emulate a Document Library. You can use SPSiteDataQuery class to query against multiple document libraries or list, get the data, and bind the result to the SPGridView with nice custom menus created by SPMenuTemplate. This is an expensive approach Smile
    Friday, April 11, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Ohh, it seems I'm not the only one with this problem Big Smile and I like the expensive solution, I just found there was a control SPGridView ....

Thanks, for the answer.

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:21 PM
  • This tool isn't a bad option: http://www.lightningtools.com/pages/lightning-conductor-web-part.aspx

The price isn't too bad ($600) - if you consider what your hourly rate is it's most likely going to be cheaper to purchase something like this rather than build custom.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:20 AM
  • You could have a look at the Extended Content Query Web Part (http://www.codeplex.com/ECQWP) by Ishai Sagi. It bases on the standard SharePoint CQWP (so you need the MOSS license) and it gives you the possibility of rendering the ecb menus for list items.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Hi Alex,
    I am looking for a solution for a similar case. We have a main SharePoint Collection with document masters which should be included in the Team Sites of all Projects. So there must be a WebPart on every WebSite Collection linked to the main document library with the masters.

Have you found a simple way to achieve this?

Best regards,
    Peter
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Hi Peter,

you could try this solution, it is a web part called document library explorer.

http://www.professionalsharepoint.com/dle

Paul
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Lucas Friday, September 25, 2009 4:01 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:17 PM