none
Re enable (password unlock option) for bitlocker encrypted drive

Question

• Hey

My company is updating our windows, servers, desktops nearly every thing. we were asked to back up all our data on external drives, but we were forced to encrypt the drives with Bit locker, after the immigration to the new hardware and windows 10, I opened my external HDD and USB Drive using the passwords I set earlier, and as I don't need the drives to be encrypted anymore, I right clicked the drives then choose "Remove password" which I thought it will decrypt the drives and no passwords will be required anymore. I was surprised to find that my drives are still encrypted, and all what happened is that the password unlock option for my Bit locker encrypted drives was removed. it now only displays to option to unlock (another USB drive or recovery key) and I don't have both. all what i have is the passwords that I set to the drivers, but the unlock with password option vanished.

can i return that option back so i can unlock both my drives using password? can you please advice?

thanks in advance.

Friday, January 8, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Mohussini,

Thank you for your question.

By my understanding, you want to remove bitlocker on this external HDD(If I misunderstanding, please be free to let me know). 

If that, we should perform the following steps after we remove password:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    2. Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click Turn Off BitLocker.
    3. A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive. 

By completing this procedure, you have decrypted the drive and removed BitLocker protection.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

Notice: this link also apply to Windows 10.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:10 AM
  • What Jim's advice is missing: you need to mount the drive first before you can decrypt it.

Use the recovery key to do that.

Monday, January 11, 2016 12:15 PM
  • Dear Jim

this is not my problem, and I cant even follow your steps, because I accidently removed the password by (right click on drive, then remove password)

now when I attach my drive it only shows one option to unlock it (recovery code) which I don't have as we changed the company hardware including the servers.

so the only option to unlock my drive back is to unlock it with my password (and I sure have my password), but I cant use it as there is no fields for it- as I mentioned I removed the unlock with password through right click.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Mohussini, you cannot get that password protector back. I am pretty sure you cannot revive that since it is a security measure to remove protectors. If we could revive those easily, what's the point in removing them?

Was the recovery key saved to active directory? By default, saving to AD is not set and if one encrypts the drive, it would be mandatory to print it or save it to a file.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:28 AM