DISK DEFRAG RRS feed

• Question

• I WANT TO VIEW A REPORT AS IS DEFRAGING, OR THE GRAPHICS - NOW I'M NOT EXACTLY A NOVICE AND CAN BE FORGETFUL

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE I READ SAID TO TYPE IN COMMAND PROMPT :  defrag C: -a -v AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO VIEW

HERE'S MY QUESTION WHERES COMMAND PROMPT?

SORRY REALLY BASIC STUFF BEEN FORGOTTON - I HATE VISTA GIVE ME 98 OR XP ANYDAY.

CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:05 AM

All replies

• Sillytart

Command prompt can be accessed through start>run>cmd>enter   You may have to run the command prompt with elevated permissions (been a while since I have had vista) but to do that start>run>cmd>right click and run as administrator>enter

Then you would type the defrag command.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:20 AM spelling
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:19 AM
  • THANKS FOR REPLYING I THINK SOMETHINGS AMISS WITH MY COMPUTER - PRESS START AND THERES NOWHERE FOR 'RUN' ?

HELP??

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:22 AM
  • ST

Sorry, I told you it had been a while since I had Vista.  Try start>cmd>enter (or the right click if it requires elevated permissions)

I would have researched it but I am not on a computer atm.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:30 AM
  • HI ME AGAIN A PEST.  I'VE FOUND 'RUN' AND DONE AS THE SAID WHEN I RIGHT C LICKED NOTHING HAPPEND SO I JUST PUT IN DEFRAG COMMAND WITH A REPLY THAT PROBLEMS RUNNING AT MO WAIT UNTIL FINISHED AND TRY AGAIN.  I ASSUME THE COMPUTER THINKS I WONT TO DEFRAG AGAIN AND NOT SEE THE PROGRESS/GRAPHICS ETC.

THE LAST TIME I RAN DEFRAG WHEN IT HAD FINISHED IS ASSUME IT HAD FINISHED.  I WOULD LIKE TO SEE REPORT BUT COMPUTER HAD JUST SHUTDOWN IS THERE ANYWHERE I LOOK FOR THE STATUS OF VOLUME C /: WHATSIT ETC?

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Sillytart

You could look in event viewer.  Start>run>eventvwr

Or you could get a third party application that would show it graphically.  (Perfect disk is a good one and it looks like it did in xp)

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:55 AM