External USB HDD won't format under Win 7 and get corrupt files... RRS feed

• Question

• So I am having trouble with Windows 7 home premium and getting corrupt files on my external hard drives. I am running this on a brand new Acer Aspire 5252-v662 laptop. AMD V160 CPU, 320GB HDD, 6GB DDR3.... Anyways I have been having problems with anything that is formatted as NTFS. I have had no problems on my desktop which is running XP, except for that I had to format my 1 external drive because it had corrupt files.

The main files that seem to be getting corrupt are jpg/jpeg files. I am running a 500GB Seagate free agent drive thru USB 2.0 and I also have an IDE/SATA to USB2.0 dongle that I use as well for a couple Maxtor 80GB IDE HDD. For some reason I can't even format these drives thru Windows 7. I delete the partition and do a full format and once it is done it tells me that it could not be formatted. Even my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer micro would not format.

And these same drives/connections work fine and format perfectly under Windows XP. This is very annoying as I am trying to the picture files off my laptop and back onto the drive as backups. I didn't start getting corrupt files until I plugged the drives into this laptop.  Could it be the USB ports on the laptop. And yes I have tried all 3 ports.

Also I copied these files to my desktop over my network and none of them came up as corrupt. I think this has to be a problem with Win 7 and USB/NTFS formatting or something. Please help!!!

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, May 23, 2011 2:40 AM Moved to more approriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:24 AM

Answers

• Another update. Instead of going back to Acer since the customer service people hung up on me 3 times while I was trying to explain my problem to them in plain English which they could barely speak. I took and restored my laptop back to factory and then installed Windows updates and the likes and don't have any problems. So I don't know if it was a windows update that automatically installed that I probably didn't want that screwed up or something. But this way people who have a similar problem can take and have an answer.

Watch your windows updates and be selective which ones you install!!! Too bad no one on this forum was able to help or give any suggestions. Hopefully this will help someone though!

• Marked as answer by johnvosh Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 AM

All replies

• K, so I just took and tried to copy some large video files (.wmv, quicktime, etc..) and they also became corrupt. Copied around 1,000 pics to the drive and they looked ok under Win 7, then moved the drive to my desktop (XP) and I couldn't read 99% of them. I have reformatted this drive about 3 times now because of this and it is becoming very annoying.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Monday, May 23, 2011 2:13 AM
  • 44 views so far but no help. Come on guys I need some suggestions or ideas.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:46 PM
  • 58view and no replies. Thanks for all the help¡¡ Looks like I am sending the laptop in for warranty as it made me have to do a restore on my ipod. I am guessing the USB controller on the motherboard is going south.
    • Marked as answer by johnvosh Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by johnvosh Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Another update. Instead of going back to Acer since the customer service people hung up on me 3 times while I was trying to explain my problem to them in plain English which they could barely speak. I took and restored my laptop back to factory and then installed Windows updates and the likes and don't have any problems. So I don't know if it was a windows update that automatically installed that I probably didn't want that screwed up or something. But this way people who have a similar problem can take and have an answer.

Watch your windows updates and be selective which ones you install!!! Too bad no one on this forum was able to help or give any suggestions. Hopefully this will help someone though!

• Marked as answer by johnvosh Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 AM