Copying files and win7 UI RRS feed

• Question

• There are tons of different ways to copy files in Windows...
    ...here is how I frequently copy files (dont try to change that!), and a question about a very annoying quirk with how win7 wants to do it!...

In XP, when I copy a file between two Explorer windows, even if one is minimized, I drag the file from the source window to the taskbar entry for the destination window, wait a second (with the mouse button still held down) and then when the window comes to the top / un-minimizes, I drag the file to the destination window and release the mouse button, causing Windows to copy or move the file, depending on if I dragged it with the right mouse button and selected an option different from the default file operation.

In win7, to do this I drag the file to the Explorer taskbar entry, then drag it to the destination window's taskbar preview and wait for the window to come up, however sometimes win7 makes the taskbar preview disappear instead, making me have to re-drag the file to the Explorer entry all over again. Sometimes this happens 3 or 4 times, and happens a lot more if I don't aim for the center of the preview. (edit: then recently it sometimes immediately closes the preview no matter where I aim!) Very annoying quirk!!!

OK, how do I fix this? (edit: will look somewhere else for help since the replies I have are nowhere near the answer I'm looking for)
    (win7 RC build 7100)

Note: I like my way of copying files . If you reply with 'change your way of doing it', all you are doing is _*_ me off and will most likely get this as your reply: Does anyone have any suggestions other than change my way of copying files?
    Edit: I'm now really p__*_ off, this thread is now "dead".
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Monday, October 12, 2009 5:18 PM bye
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:21 AM

Answers

• Quit resisting. You're only making it harder on yourself.
    We all have different opinions and ways of doing things, this is mine.
    Remove Windows 7 from your machine and install an earlier version of Windows in its place!
    You actually would recommend me not using win7? Shocker since this is a MS forum and MS wants to sell win7 copies badly after the rep Vista has...
    Sometimes we just have to accept that the world around us has moved on and left us behind a bit.  Would you think it reasonable to expect that all Windows versions should retain the old Windows 3 'File Manager' interface, just for the benefit of the few remaining folk who still have it, use it, and are used to it?
    Agree, but my method is still 'current' and doesn't need to be replaced as your analogy kinda suggests.

Obviously we are getting nowhere with these replies and I might be considering looking somewhere else next time I have a question. Have you heard of people copying files in different ways?

Thank you for your "help", this thread is now "dead" (since I will soon be installing the win7 copy from the win7 launch party party pack and we will hope that this works right in the RTM/GA).
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    • Marked as answer by JoelbX Monday, October 12, 2009 5:14 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Modify your approach to the task.  Your method of 'dragging' stuff to the taskbar button is cumbersome and unreliable.  'Drag' produces different results in different situations.  Sometimes it'll move, sometimes it'll copy, sometimes it'll simply create a shortcut.  Depends upon situation.  Right-click context menus are alwas better than drag and drop.
    Was hoping I wasn't going to get this type of reply. People have different ways of copying files, this is how I do it and never have felt 'natural' doing it other ways... (also helps since you dont have to have both explorer windows visible at once (which I frequently dont have both windows visible at once), as minimized windows will restore using this method)
    While I can verify your "'Drag' produces different results in different situations" with dragging with the left mouse button (copy if source and destination are on different drives/partitions, move if source and destination are on same drive), dragging with the right mouse button produces a menu with 'Copy Here', 'Move Here', 'Create Shortcuts Here', or cancel, with default option that would be performed if you used the left mouse button in bold, then just choose the option you want, now I wouldn't call that unreliable. (screenshot of that here (pic removed))
    Anyways, for starters you could try using the 'Aero Snap' feature...

Back in the day many of us used to use third-party dual-pane file managers for heavy duty moving around of files.  Aero Snap can be used to have Explorer quickly and simply operating in 'dual pane' fashion.
    One way of copying files, but remember that I frequently work and copy files with with the other OSes on my comp (xp and ubuntu) which don't have the snap feature, so I forget that snap is there, the one Aero feature of of the 3 new ones I use the most is the peek one...

Also never really have cared for maximized explorer windows, even if it takes up only half the screen as in Snap (dont ask why).

One thing MS needs to do is give Explorer a tab feature like IE has....
    Alternatively, if you just can't live without the capactity to drag your files down to the taskbar, you could alter the taskbar settings to have it work in similar fashion to the XP/Vista taskbar...
    Except for I happen to (kinda) like the new looks of the win7 taskbar, and really dont care for how open apps look in win7 with the settings you showed.
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:03 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:11 AM

All replies

• OK, how do I fix this? (as I frequently copy files off other drives containing the other 4 OSs on my comp)

Modify your approach to the task.  Your method of 'dragging' stuff to the taskbar button is cumbersome and unreliable.  'Drag' produces different results in different situations.  Sometimes it'll move, sometimes it'll copy, sometimes it'll simply create a shortcut.  Depends upon situation.  Right-click context menus are alwas better than drag and drop.

Anyways, for starters you could try using the 'Aero Snap' feature:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_aero_snaps.asp

Back in the day many of us used to use third-party dual-pane file managers for heavy duty moving around of files.  Aero Snap can be used to have Explorer quickly and simply operating in 'dual pane' fashion.

Alternatively, if you just can't live without the capactity to drag your files down to the taskbar, you could alter the taskbar settings to have it work in similar fashion to the XP/Vista taskbar:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Modify your approach to the task.  Your method of 'dragging' stuff to the taskbar button is cumbersome and unreliable.  'Drag' produces different results in different situations.  Sometimes it'll move, sometimes it'll copy, sometimes it'll simply create a shortcut.  Depends upon situation.  Right-click context menus are alwas better than drag and drop.
    Was hoping I wasn't going to get this type of reply. People have different ways of copying files, this is how I do it and never have felt 'natural' doing it other ways... (also helps since you dont have to have both explorer windows visible at once (which I frequently dont have both windows visible at once), as minimized windows will restore using this method)
    While I can verify your "'Drag' produces different results in different situations" with dragging with the left mouse button (copy if source and destination are on different drives/partitions, move if source and destination are on same drive), dragging with the right mouse button produces a menu with 'Copy Here', 'Move Here', 'Create Shortcuts Here', or cancel, with default option that would be performed if you used the left mouse button in bold, then just choose the option you want, now I wouldn't call that unreliable. (screenshot of that here (pic removed))
    Anyways, for starters you could try using the 'Aero Snap' feature...

One way of copying files, but remember that I frequently work and copy files with with the other OSes on my comp (xp and ubuntu) which don't have the snap feature, so I forget that snap is there, the one Aero feature of of the 3 new ones I use the most is the peek one...

Also never really have cared for maximized explorer windows, even if it takes up only half the screen as in Snap (dont ask why).

One thing MS needs to do is give Explorer a tab feature like IE has....
    Alternatively, if you just can't live without the capactity to drag your files down to the taskbar, you could alter the taskbar settings to have it work in similar fashion to the XP/Vista taskbar...
    Except for I happen to (kinda) like the new looks of the win7 taskbar, and really dont care for how open apps look in win7 with the settings you showed.
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:03 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Have you tried right-clicking first to copy, then hovering, then right-clicking to paste?
    It does work, but...
    1. Again not a 'natural' way for me to copy files
    2. I usually forget about copying files using that way, except for when I try to copy files the way I like to with dragging with the right mouse button in Ubuntu, since Ubuntu doesn't have the right-click drag feature explained in the last post.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than change my way of copying files?

- JoelbX
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:28 PM

• Does anyone have any suggestions other than change my way of copying files?
    Remove Windows 7 from your machine and install an earlier version of Windows in its place!

Sometimes we just have to accept that the world around us has moved on and left us behind a bit.  Would you think it reasonable to expect that all Windows versions should retain the old Windows 3 'File Manager' interface, just for the benefit of the few remaining folk who still have it, use it, and are used to it?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Quit resisting. You're only making it harder on yourself.
    We all have different opinions and ways of doing things, this is mine.
    You actually would recommend me not using win7? Shocker since this is a MS forum and MS wants to sell win7 copies badly after the rep Vista has...
    Agree, but my method is still 'current' and doesn't need to be replaced as your analogy kinda suggests.

Obviously we are getting nowhere with these replies and I might be considering looking somewhere else next time I have a question. Have you heard of people copying files in different ways?

Thank you for your "help", this thread is now "dead" (since I will soon be installing the win7 copy from the win7 launch party party pack and we will hope that this works right in the RTM/GA).
    - JoelbX
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Lol, thx. I did that so in a search this thread shows up as "answered" with the checkmark and not "not answered" with the question mark.

- JoelbX
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:40 PM