Outlook - Importing Excel Contacts Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed to import my contacts from an Excel spreadsheet but when using the contacts to send an email to the selected contact say Bill Smith then the following appears in the "To" box after clicking on the selected contact Bill Smith (smith@isp.com).  When sent the email is then rejected with the following message

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    Test 4

Sent: 24/09/2015 5:01 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Bill Smith (smith@isp.com) on 24/09/2015 5:01 PM

Server error: 'Invalid recipient'

Obviously the name Bill Smith (smith@isp.com) is not a valid email address because of the ( ) as distinct from < > around the email address.  Does anyone know what the solution is?  I am happy to just have the email address without the name Bill Smith but obviously it would be better if the contact name also appeared.  I have about 300 contacts and have spent the whole day on the spreadsheet and trying to fix the problem.

May be a solution lies in converting the excel spreadsheet into an Outlook (pst file?) and then importing that file.  Is that possible?

Sorry to be a nuisance but I am the wrong side of 60 and struggling.

Cheers

Thursday, September 24, 2015 10:00 AM

Answers

• I have managed to import my contacts from an Excel spreadsheet but when using the contacts to send an email to the selected contact say Bill Smith then the following appears in the "To" box after clicking on the selected contact Bill Smith (smith@isp.com).  When sent the email is then rejected with the following message

Cheers

From one person who apparently is also on the wrong side of the "age tracks" to another - let's start with some basics

#1 - When you imported your contacts - did you explicitly <map> the fields being imported by clicking on the <Map Custom Fields> button when presented? If not, just for the same of speed and simplicity - suggest you redo the import either by deleting all the contacts originally deleted or into a new contact folder

#2 - When manually mapping the fields from your source Excel file (which means you're using OL'2010 or earlier) make sure that you explicitly map the individual fields you're importing from you data file to the equivalent Outlook fields paying particular attention to the email address field. The email address (i.e. somename@somewhere.xxx) should be explicitly mapped to the Outlook <E-Mail Address> field (expand the E-Mail root field by clicking on the + sign).

#3 - Outlook will automatically populate the Email DisplayName field if you don't map anything to it as it will the E-Mail AddressType field which will end up with the value of SMTP.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:04 AM

All replies

Subject:    Test 4

Sent: 24/09/2015 5:01 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Bill Smith (smith@isp.com) on 24/09/2015 5:01 PM

Server error: 'Invalid recipient'

Obviously the name Bill Smith (smith@isp.com) is not a valid email address because of the ( ) as distinct from < > around the email address.  Does anyone know what the solution is?  I am happy to just have the email address without the name Bill Smith but obviously it would be better if the contact name also appeared.  I have about 300 contacts and have spent the whole day on the spreadsheet and trying to fix the problem.

May be a solution lies in converting the excel spreadsheet into an Outlook (pst file?) and then importing that file.  Is that possible?

Cheers

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Friday, September 25, 2015 2:48 AM

Cheers

From one person who apparently is also on the wrong side of the "age tracks" to another - let's start with some basics

#1 - When you imported your contacts - did you explicitly <map> the fields being imported by clicking on the <Map Custom Fields> button when presented? If not, just for the same of speed and simplicity - suggest you redo the import either by deleting all the contacts originally deleted or into a new contact folder

#2 - When manually mapping the fields from your source Excel file (which means you're using OL'2010 or earlier) make sure that you explicitly map the individual fields you're importing from you data file to the equivalent Outlook fields paying particular attention to the email address field. The email address (i.e. somename@somewhere.xxx) should be explicitly mapped to the Outlook <E-Mail Address> field (expand the E-Mail root field by clicking on the + sign).

#3 - Outlook will automatically populate the Email DisplayName field if you don't map anything to it as it will the E-Mail AddressType field which will end up with the value of SMTP.

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Hi Karl

Thanks for your response.  I spent a few more hours on the problem and set up a new contacts folder with just a couple of contacts with email addresses accessible on my wife's computer and it all worked OK.  It turns out there was a space at the end of the email address I was using for testing purposes and this caused me to think the whole thing was not working.  Anyway I now have it sorted and wasted yet another day of my retirement.

Cheers

Retired Troglodyte

Saturday, September 26, 2015 2:01 AM