Problem reloading Vista on an HP DV6000 following replacing a hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am helping a friend with their computer.  The original hard drive went out and I purchased a new drive.  The install was simple but I there was no install disk to recover from.  I used the PN# to order the restore disks from HP and once they came I restored to the original factory install.  Upon completion of the third disk it looks like it will boot into Windows Vista, but after the reboot it shows an error screen with no accessible options to continue or troubleshoot.  I tried going into the CMOS settings and there are no user changeable settings. 

The error message is as follows:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1.  Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit

If I hit ENTER I get the following screen...

Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
    (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER.)

Microsoft Windows Vista

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8.

Tools:

Windows Memory Diagnostic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pressing ENTER or F8 returns to the prior screen.

TABing to the tool and selecting the tool starts a long and exhaustive Memory test with no information that Ultimately reboots to the prior screen.

Entering the Installation Disc restarts the install process which ultimately ends in the previous screen.

OVERALL IT IS QUITE INFURIATING!!  No diagnostics available, no information available, and no options available!!  What is going on??!!

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:00 AM