Optional applications selected via UDI interface and stand alone media RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SCCM 2012 sp1 with MDT integration.   I'm using a UDI from MDT to set some basic machine informatoin for imaging (select the OU in the domain, etc).  I also have some optional apps that a tech can select from the UDI to install during the TS. 

All is working great with network based installations.  However, I have a need for some installations using stand alone media.  Is there a way to create stand alone media that will include those optional apps in the MDT UDI so that those apps can install during the TS?   I don't think there is, but there are more brilliant minds than mine out there so I thought I would ask.  Maybe there's a way to generate stand alone media via a PS script or something, and have it include the additional packages so they are on the media and can be called via the TS when it runs.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:36 PM

Answers

• The root cause of this issue has nothing to do with UDI really, it is just the fact that installing applications using dynamic base variables is not supported in standalone media.  As you say everything has to be directly referenced by the task sequence for it to work.

We had this same issue a couple of years ago in ConfigMgr 2007 and ended up building our own standalone media wizard using the SDK.  Sounds like a lot of work I know, but for us it was well worth it.  We have just migrated it to ConfigMgr 2012 and updated it to support the app model.

The reason it made sense for us to invest the time in it was because we are a fairly large enterprise (160,000 seats) with a single task sequence used worldwide.  The Windows 7 configuration requirements (not just in terms of app deployment) vary dramatically from one country to another, but using variables to control deployment we have managed to retain a single TS but let the child site admins have some flexibility.  As we have many small branches/agencies with no ConfigMgr infrastructure we had to come up with a solution which retained and reused the single TS design but also worked offline.  Standalone media is used to deploy Windows 7 to thousands of users.  Getting the local apps to install wasn't our only issue, the size of the media was also a problem due to the number of dependencies required to support deployment in every country (drivers, language packs, x86+x64 etc.).

So our standalone media wizard does this:

• Reads in the collection variables (used to customise deployment, deploy apps etc.)
    • Prompts the user for various options like x86/x64, HW types etc.
    • Creates a copy of the global TS, the wizard then modifies the copy so that a custom TS is created dynamically just for the media.
    • It disables any unwanted actions in the local TS to remove drivers, x86/x64, language packs etc.
    • Adds install application actions for each of the apps specified in the dynamic app install variables.
    • Prompts user for normal standalone media options like ISO, USB, Password, DPs etc.
    • Creates media based on local/temporary TS.
    • Deletes the local/temporary TS when complete.

This solves the issue for zero touch deployment but does it work with UDI?  Well the answer is yes and no.  We do use UDI (but again built with the MDT UDI SDK).  Out of the box, the answer is no.  UDI brings a slightly different issue in that not only are the apps not referenced by the TS (so they are not in the media) but you are also then trying to dynamically change which apps are installed during deployment.  So even if the apps are directly referenced and in the media, you still have to develop a way of controlling which TS app install actions run based on the user selection.

If you are willing to spend some time with the SDK then it can be done, you just may not find this worthwhile depending on the scale of your environment.

Mark.

• Marked as answer by SpecialEdward Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a topic about deploying a UDI Client Task Sequence with MDT 2012 integrated in SCCM2012.

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 18. Deploying a UDI Client Task Sequence with MDT 2012 RC1 integrated in Configuration Manager 2012

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5250-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-18-deploying-a-udi-client-task-sequence-with-mdt-2012-rc1-integrated-in-configuration-manager-2012/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 10, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Thanks moderator, but that doesn't really answer the question.  

Niall's 'how-to" is exactly the scenario I'm describing.  However, what he demonstrates is a WIRED deployment.  If you create a self contained media for that TS, the optional apps that you select in the UDI are not included in the media (because SCCM does not recognize them as a part of the task sequence when the media is created).   Those optional apps are added dynamically to the TS by the UDI as a variable and installed in a step in the TS to include those packages/apps that are included in the variable.  When you're on a wired connection, the TS will query CM12 for those packages/apps, find them on a DP, and include them in the list of installed software, but if you are on self contained media, those packages wont exist on your media, and they are ignored.

My question is if there is a way to include those optional apps in the self contained media?  

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:41 PM
  • Very good question - I have the exact same scenario, any help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:07 AM
  • I am not aware of a way to make this work "offline".

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:16 AM
  • I am not aware of a way to make this work "offline".

Torsten Meringer

Thanks Torsten. Thought this was the case, one for a future release then :)
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:47 PM
  • The root cause of this issue has nothing to do with UDI really, it is just the fact that installing applications using dynamic base variables is not supported in standalone media.  As you say everything has to be directly referenced by the task sequence for it to work.

We had this same issue a couple of years ago in ConfigMgr 2007 and ended up building our own standalone media wizard using the SDK.  Sounds like a lot of work I know, but for us it was well worth it.  We have just migrated it to ConfigMgr 2012 and updated it to support the app model.

The reason it made sense for us to invest the time in it was because we are a fairly large enterprise (160,000 seats) with a single task sequence used worldwide.  The Windows 7 configuration requirements (not just in terms of app deployment) vary dramatically from one country to another, but using variables to control deployment we have managed to retain a single TS but let the child site admins have some flexibility.  As we have many small branches/agencies with no ConfigMgr infrastructure we had to come up with a solution which retained and reused the single TS design but also worked offline.  Standalone media is used to deploy Windows 7 to thousands of users.  Getting the local apps to install wasn't our only issue, the size of the media was also a problem due to the number of dependencies required to support deployment in every country (drivers, language packs, x86+x64 etc.).

So our standalone media wizard does this:

• Reads in the collection variables (used to customise deployment, deploy apps etc.)
    • Prompts the user for various options like x86/x64, HW types etc.
    • Creates a copy of the global TS, the wizard then modifies the copy so that a custom TS is created dynamically just for the media.
    • It disables any unwanted actions in the local TS to remove drivers, x86/x64, language packs etc.
    • Adds install application actions for each of the apps specified in the dynamic app install variables.
    • Prompts user for normal standalone media options like ISO, USB, Password, DPs etc.
    • Creates media based on local/temporary TS.
    • Deletes the local/temporary TS when complete.

This solves the issue for zero touch deployment but does it work with UDI?  Well the answer is yes and no.  We do use UDI (but again built with the MDT UDI SDK).  Out of the box, the answer is no.  UDI brings a slightly different issue in that not only are the apps not referenced by the TS (so they are not in the media) but you are also then trying to dynamically change which apps are installed during deployment.  So even if the apps are directly referenced and in the media, you still have to develop a way of controlling which TS app install actions run based on the user selection.

If you are willing to spend some time with the SDK then it can be done, you just may not find this worthwhile depending on the scale of your environment.

Mark.

• Marked as answer by SpecialEdward Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:56 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but I figured I should reply anyway. I went through the exact same thing. The only way I was able to get this to work was to create my own custom page within the UDI Wizard Designer. Doing this allows you to create check-boxes for each standalone package or application you'd like to run within your standalone task sequence. Once your check-boxes are labeled and created, highlight each one and click on the settings tab. Here you'll need to assign a TS Variable for each one. Make sure each of the TS Variable values is set to TRUE. Once you're done, save your UDI designer page and update your DP to reflect the changes in your MDT Package. Edit your task sequence and assign the same TS Variable to each of the packages you want to install offline. Your standalone UDI image should now fully work without any issues. I know this may be over-simplified, but if you have any questions feel free to reach out and I'll further explain.
    • Proposed as answer by CoolSlim54 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:29 PM