Windows 7, Desktop Icons and Group Policy User Preferences RRS feed

• Question

• This is going to sound extremely picky and well......it is but I'm preparing for the backlash from users.  Here's the deal.  I'm going to push out various icons using Group Policy and User Preferences.  The shortcuts are showing just fine and things work fine. 

Where's the problem?  Well, I have some basic icons or shortcuts running down the left hand side of the screen that apply to everyone and are part of the mandatory profile.  The icons that I add through GP are shifted over about the width of an icon so when the user logs in there is the very first column of shortcuts on the left and then the next column (which should be my assigned shortcuts) is blank and then my assigned shortcuts finally show at about where the 3rd column of shortcuts would be.  To me it's not a big deal but I can hear the complaints about the appearance already.  Anyone run across this?  Is this just the way it is when assigning shortcuts using GP Preferences?  Is there any way to control the position of these assigned shortcuts?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:14 PM

All replies

• Update - This seems to be some sort of anomaly because there are times when I log in and all of the icons line up together in columns and times when that doesn't happen.  I have two different accounts with 2 different sets of targeted desktop icons.  Whichever one logs in first after the reboot gets a "clean" desktop with no spaces and the 2nd account to log in will end up with spaces.  However, after logging off and logging back in again after about 10 or 15 minutes the 2nd account will get a clean account so I suspect it's something with group policy refreshing.  Strange....
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Ho do your deploy the shortcuts via GP?

I don't think it's possible to control the position of the assigned shortcuts. As your desktop is fine at first, then you have trouble after logging on another account. I think it's more related to your profiles.

John
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:43 AM
  • Yes, shortcuts are via GP preferences.  The profiles are the same mandatory profiles for each user so it really shouldn't be a profile issue.  I still think it's something with Group Policy and it might just be this way by "design".
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Sorry for spamming but this maybe of use as an alternative to anyone struggling with GPO desktop redirection http://www.centrel-solutions.com/xialinks/

David Homer
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:54 AM