none
Trouble connecting Windows 8.1 Clients to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished setting up Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I have 8 clients to connect that are running Windows 8.1.  From my readings, the standard version of Windows 8.1 will not join an Active Directory Domain. I have read about connecting to the server via workgroup using the registry tweaks (SkipDomainJoin, etc.). All 8 client machines are identical setups. Out of the 8, 2 machines connected beautifully, with the connector software tray agent showing green. The other six show up on the server dashboard under Devices but show as offline. Those client machines have the connector software tray agent in grey with the note that states that it is not connected to the server. Those clients can access some shared folders on the server itself. I have made sure that the time is synced between the server and all of the clients.

I can't seem to find anything wrong with any of the client machines. Could anyone please steer me in the right direction?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Note that:
    In an on-premises client deployment for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server 2012 Essentials, you can connect computers to the server without adding them to the Windows Server Essentials domain. This method is not available for all supported client operating systems, and features such as Group Policy and virtual private networks (VPNs), which require that a computer be connected to the domain, are not available.

You may try to install latest Windows Update on both client and Essentials, then confirm the result. 

If the problem still exits, could you please provide me the link/document which you have followed to configure your environment. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang                                                                                                                                

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Note that:
    In an on-premises client deployment for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server 2012 Essentials, you can connect computers to the server without adding them to the Windows Server Essentials domain. This method is not available for all supported client operating systems, and features such as Group Policy and virtual private networks (VPNs), which require that a computer be connected to the domain, are not available.

You may try to install latest Windows Update on both client and Essentials, then confirm the result. 

If the problem still exits, could you please provide me the link/document which you have followed to configure your environment. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang                                                                                                                                

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:57 AM
  • on the client machine please check the connector deploy logs.

I am not sure about the location but it should be under C:\ProgramData\Server\Microsoft ...

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:18 PM