none
Marvel Adapter Driver in Surface Pro 4 Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I've been through three Surface Pros and a few driver versions.  Still have problems with internal Marvell AVASTAR Wi-Fi adapter.  Problem starts with intermittent failure to connect then degenerates into showing no Wi-Fi access points available.  Problem occurs mostly when connecting to a different but not necessarily new access point.  In other words, once I'm connected reliably, the internal adapter usually reconnects to that access point and stays connected to it with good throughput.  But if I ask it to change to a different access point on the same LAN or on a different LAN, it tries, fails, then dies.  Current driver version is 15.68.9037.59.  Most familiar problem is with my home network where the gateway and DHCP are through a Netgear C3700.

Interesting aside: The 3700 shows my iPhone always connected.  But it shows my Surface Pro connected only when it is transferring packets.  It appears on the LAN when transferring packets and then disappears, even though Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4 continue to show the devices connected to the access point.

JLG

Friday, April 22, 2016 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JLG,

According to your description, the problem is related to Marvel adapter driver.

So, we could try uninstall it completely, then reboot Surface let system to reinstall driver to test result.

In addition, I search online and find out a documentation for you, please check it for assistance.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/networking-and-connectivity/install-wireless-drivers?os=windows-10

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 25, 2016 5:18 AM
  • I shall suggest you to uninstall WiFi driver via Device Manager. Reboot the system. Let Windows detect the hardware. Get connected with the internet and update the driver via Windows Update.

In Marvell's support site there is no wifi driver available for Windows 10. So you have to depend on Windows Update. and the following links:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/networking-and-connectivity/install-wireless-drivers?os=windows-10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Thanks, Sengupta.  Reinstalling the adapter driver is a good idea.  It was one of the first things I did.  Unfortunately, it's not a solution here. 

JLG

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:59 PM
  • Jay,
    As we've discussed on the Answers Community, I think the issue here is specific
    to your Netgear devices and configuration. The folks that are having this
    particular issue seem to have specific Wi-Fi devices. My hunch is that if you
    bought a stand alone router (newer) and ran it in Access Point mode and
    connected it to your all in one Netgear cable modem/router device and "forget"
    existing networks on your Surface and then connected your Surface to the new
    Wi-Fi SSID that you would not have the same issues.

Most familiar problem is with my home network where the gateway and DHCP are through a Netgear C3700

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Thanks, Barb.  You're probably right but only in part.  This occurs on too many access points.  Last night, I was in the Microsoft Store at Tysons in Virginia where I demonstrated the problem on its access point after a 30-second restart through diagnostic boot that I think erases all stored driver data on the Surface. As usual Surface connected to the access point as it should. I switched to Mall access point. It wouldn't connect. Then it wouldn't connect to the Mictosoft access point till I reset the adapter. This is the most typical behavior.

JLG

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:55 PM
  • What did the Microsoft Store people say about this? Before you started this
    test, did you forget all existing networks or not?

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Barb.

As you know, it's never been entirely clear how much of my problems (like many others) were attributable to the Surface Pro hardware, file corruption and compatibility with access points.

To troubleshoot the problem, Microsoft Store let me use a known-good Surface Pro 4.  Bless their hearts.  Whatever the techs there may lack in expertise, they make up for in cooperation, availability and honest admission of their limitations.

I copied an entire system image from my broken Surface Pro 4 to the known-good Surface Pro 4.  It immediately exhibited precisely the same connection problems.  Namely, the inability to switch access points without resetting the adapter.

Of course that suggests that the system image which had no corruption according to SFC was at least partly to blame for the problem.

I did a Windows 10 restore (preserving apps and data) from a fresh .iso downloaded from Microsoft Techbench.  That was yesterday.  I have tested the Surface Pro briefly in only three environments, including two where I had had terrible problems.  Limited as those tests are, I have not seen any reconnection problems.  This further exonerates the Surface Pro hardware and the suspected access points including the Netgear router you suspected.

However, this has led to a new, less urgent problem.  The freshly restored Windows 10 now shows uncorrectable system corruption when I run SFC.  I'm not sure whether I should correct the problem using DISM or repeat the same restore that I did yesterday. 

I posted some additional details in a separate question at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09797593-b1ff-4551-b3d3-6bb5cbe6b223/ 

What do you suggest?

JLG

• Edited by jaygourley Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:03 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Have you fixed your problem? I'm running on the same wi-fi issues....

thx

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:37 PM
  • Yes, I'm still having the same problem.  Microsoft Answer Desk escalated the issue a few months ago, but I haven't heard from the escalation team in the last month or two.  The last time I talked to someone there, he thought the problem was some not obviously related Windows update.

I do not think it is a hardware issue.  I reproduced the problem by transferring an image that exhibited the problem to another Surface Pro 4 by transferring the Windows image to it.

When time allows, I am currently checking the Sensor Monitoring Service.  The Sensor Monitoring service does not show on the Task Manager list of services, but it does show up in the Services applet in Administrative Tools.  I do not understand why this is the case.  The Services applet sometimes show the Sensor Monitoring Service running when I believe it is not running (e.g. the screen brightness auto-adjust and the auto-rotation don't work but then start working when I restart the service).  Sometimes when I think the service is running, the wi-fi adapter will successfully change access points without resetting the adapter.

JLG

Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:57 AM
  • Yes, I'm still having the same problem.

I notice that you also have an outstanding problem with a VPN?  FWIW when I mentioned to someone having to often uninstall Hyper-V before getting the latest W10 1607 cumulative update (to avoid some horrendous performance symptoms), they claimed that they saw the same issue with their VPN.  So, maybe you too should consider uninstalling the latest WU cumulative update, uninstalling the VPN support, reinstalling the cumulative update, testing and then re-installing the other software when needed. In fact, maybe it would be less work to just uninstall the VPN and then wait for the next cumulative update to see if that changes your symptoms.   <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:02 PM
  • I also face the same problem. Mostly upon wake-ups, but recently I had the wifi stopped during work.

I also have this Marvell. Support replaced my device and I have the same problem.

This is crazy, I'm not willing to do any beta testing for Microsoft, and its not my task to search for problem causes, as some people give hints here. It is Microsoft's task, the company which asked thousands of dollars for a device which produces problems as if we were in the 1990's.

I'm disappointed. Every time I fear when opening my Surface on a business meeting, hoping it will not leave me in trouble and shame.

:(

Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:23 PM
  • I also face the same problem. Mostly upon wake-ups, but recently I had the wifi stopped during work.

I also have this Marvell. Support replaced my device and I have the same problem.

This is crazy, I'm not willing to do any beta testing for Microsoft, and its not my task to search for problem causes, as some people give hints here. It is Microsoft's task, the company which asked thousands of dollars for a device which produces problems as if we were in the 1990's.

I'm disappointed. Every time I fear when opening my Surface on a business meeting, hoping it will not leave me in trouble and shame.

:(

Mine is having the same problem. Such a big shame for a $1000+ product. 

I have Surface Pro 4 made by Microsoft and it's updated up-to-date and it's having the exact same problem. 

It's always the same scenario. It's NOT happening on every wifi access point but on SOME particular wifi access points, Surface SUDDENLY loses its connection with the network and never connects back what-so-ever before a reboot. 

Can't blame the wifi access point since every single person in my class is using the same wifi and they have perfect wifi connections. It's ONLY happening on my Surface device and I can see many, many people have been experiencing this issue without any solution for a long time. 

Here are some technical details regarding this issue: 

1. Whenever I shut down my Surface, this message box comes out. I don't know what's causing this or what this even means and it's not doing much harm but it's sure irritating. 

https://imgur.com/yDCBOAI

(it says something like:  Instruction at 0x00000000000 referred to a memory at 0x00000000. This memory cannot be read. If you wanna shut down, click 'ok'. )

2. The rest is exactly the same <g class="gr_ gr_271 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="271" id="271">with</g> everyone on this post. Wifi is connected but says 'no internet' and I try to solve the issue by troubleshooting at no avail. It gives lame advice to turn off the device or unplug it that forces me to cancel everything I've been doing and it never works. 

Extra details including screenshots of <g class="gr_ gr_292 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="292" id="292">\</g> no-internet situation and my failed troubleshooting tech details.pdf <g class="gr_ gr_305 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="305" id="305">is</g> available here. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzqoh2d7RELJemxaRnpBRGNfb2s

Anyone who has a solution or any kind of advice, please help me. 

I contacted Microsoft tech support today and the guy said that he can't help me unless I pay Microsoft 29 euro for expired warranty tech support. 

I've been tolerating this for quite long because I believed one day before my warranty expired, Microsoft would release a proper update to troubleshoot this issue permanently. 

Microsoft decided to charge people 29 euros for tech support instead of releasing a proper update that everybody needs. Such a shame and frustration for buying $1000+ gadget that's supposed to work far better than this. 

I need your help ppl :( 

• Edited by larborFrei Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:31 AM *
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:28 AM
  • to solve the issue by troubleshooting at no avail. It gives lame advice to turn off the device or unplug it that forces me to cancel everything I've been doing and it never works. 

The device they want you to turn off is the Wi-Fi router, not your Surface!  In any case, instead of "cancelling everything" you could try using Hibernate.  That would shut down the Surface electrically, so maybe it would be enough to cause a restart for the Wi-Fi connection too.   BTW when this happens to me I have been able to use a local connection to the router to prove that there is connectivity there and then in the router to prove that there is connectivity to the Internet, so IMO unplugging everything is just a convenience for not having any better support for refreshing the software involved.

BTW I have noticed another quirk which shows up with  netsh wlan sh ne mo=BSSID   Sometimes it doesn't switch to that mode and only shows the single Wi-Fi connection which was in use.  It's almost like something is in a mode which says ignore low signal strength.  So, if your router is giving you only low signal strength and the Surface driver was in this mode it could explain your symptom.  Try issuing that command periodically so you know if this is happening in your case too. 

Another thing that I became aware of recently is that W10 may not be paying attention to the radio mode needed.  I'm not sure what the best diagnostic would be to demonstrate that possibility.   netsh wlan sh dr  can show the radio modes possible and  netsh wlan sh in  can show the radio mode that is in use (I think).

Also in my case, W10 does not connect to Wi-Fi automatically.  So if it ever gets dropped I need to start it again manually, e.g. using Control Panel Network connections.  The modern UI is not aware of this requirement.  I don't mind it because normally I am using Ethernet and don't need it--until I want to do some screen projection--then if I forget consternation may ensue.  I was just reminded of this because I did the  netsh wlan sh in  and it didn't show me a radio type.   ; )

I think we need to learn how to provide our own workarounds for these problems because the troubleshooters apparently do not understand what they are seeing and don't give any help showing us what they have found.  However, I must admit that the  netsh wlan sh wlanreport  does give us an impressive view of something more about it.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out my confusion of my device & wifi router. However, since wifi router is public one that is installed in the building, there is no way I can reset it or anything. 

I also think turning on/off is just a convenient excuse Microsoft always relies on. It is so unprofessional. Even my 10 yo brother can tell anybody to reset the device when it's not working. 

The latter part sounds very techie to me. I'm not familiar with Window's PowerShell or CMD so I don't get what all those lines - <g class="gr_ gr_626 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="626" id="626">netsh</g> <g class="gr_ gr_625 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="625" id="625">wlan</g> sh <g class="gr_ gr_627 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="627" id="627">ne</g> <g class="gr_ gr_727 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="727" id="727">mo=BSSID</g><g class="gr_ gr_727 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="727" id="727"> </g><g class="gr_ gr_727 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="727" id="727"> ,</g> <g class="gr_ gr_681 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="681" id="681">netshwlan</g> sh dr things mean or are supposed to do. 

It would be very helpful if you could make it easier for people like me who don't have any base knowledge on network structure or Windows PS. 

What exactly should I do to workaround this problem? Do I just open PS and write all the lines you've quoted in the order? It would be the best to have Microsoft clean up the mess but if they don't, I wanna at least know how to resolve the issue in a minute or two. It is very painful when it doesn't work in the middle of a lecture or in an important meeting. 

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:49 AM
  • I had the same problem with intermittent disconnects on my Surface Book 8GB.

I went into the device manager and saw the Marvell Avastar network card was giving me errors with code 10 (the device could not be started). From the device manager, I pointed the Marvell wireless adapter to use a specific driver. On my Surface I have 4 drivers -- 2 from Marvell, 2 from Microsoft. I used one of the Microsoft ones and it seems like my problems have gone away.

To do this, go to Device Manager -> Right click Marvel Avastar -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer -> Let me pick from a list...

Good luck

Dylan

• Proposed as answer by Sejo123 Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:34 PM
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Is this confirmed?

Soon i will throw my surface pro 4 in the bin. Piece of junk

Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:29 PM
  • It worked! Thank you for these simple, easy step-by-step instructions. So many others have instructions which are too technical for the average end user. Yours was quick and works. Thank you.

MS... take some notes.

Friday, April 20, 2018 3:52 AM

I went into the device manager and saw the Marvell Avastar network card was giving me errors with code 10 (the device could not be started). From the device manager, I pointed the Marvell wireless adapter to use a specific driver. On my Surface I have 4 drivers -- 2 from Marvell, 2 from Microsoft. I used one of the Microsoft ones and it seems like my problems have gone away.

To do this, go to Device Manager -> Right click Marvel Avastar -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer -> Let me pick from a list...

Good luck

Dylan

IT WORKED!!!!

THANK YOU!  I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANY OF THE OTHER SITES DON'T HAVE THIS SOLUTION.  I'm GOING TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK TO THIS SITE...

THANKS AGAIN!

Saturday, July 7, 2018 2:42 AM
  • Hi Dylan,

can you please help me further? I just bought a used Surface Pro 4 and the first thing I see is this problem with the Marvell adapter. I'm following your instructions but I stop when I need to browse my computer. I don't know if I have this MS driver on my device and where to find it, and if it's not on my device, where I should download it. Can you guide me please? :)

Thanks!

Francesco

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:40 AM
  • WORKED AWESOME

Thank You

Saturday, August 11, 2018 4:29 PM
  • I have the same problem with Surface Book. I experience issues mostly on resume from hibernation, when network adapter goes offline with error 10. That's funny, since this is my second Surface Book - the 1st was replaced by Microsoft. I do not understand the complete disregard on this matter from such a big company - they have repeatable problems with several generations of their Surface products. Well, I have replaced one device when I was in US, but I could not replace the second, since I live too far away (this device was never officially sold here). I cant use this device for business, since I cannot rely on it. It was a big mistake to change Apple MacBook Pro on this *** and I never recommend Microsoft hardware to anyone. Microsoft support team just always provides templated recommendations that never help: e.g. run troubleshooter, reinstall drivers, etc. Engineers are to busy/lazy to look at this problem from inside out. Thanks, but I will never buy hardware from Microsoft anymore.

Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Quick Solution that worked for me:

1. Disable Connected Standby (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled = 0)
    2. Reboot
    3. Now you have a Power Management Tab on the Marvel NIC Properties, disable power save feature
    4. Profit

Read on for the long version...

I have a fairly tame i5 surface pro with 4GB ram and this problem starting plaguing me.  The adapter would crap out constantly and at times disappear all together from the adapters list.  None of the solutions I found here fixed it.

I noticed in the event logs a few errors including something about "adapter does not support an important low energy controller state to support peripheral mode." so I thought it might have something to do with power saving which has bit me in the past with external USB devices on win 10.

I did two things which have fixed the issue so far:

1. Disable Connected Standby
    2. Disable in Network Controller Properties "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

In order to get to step #2, you will have to successfully complete step 1 and reboot as step 1 reveals the Power Management tab on your network controller.

Google these for instructions on the web:
    1. DISABLING CONNECTED STANDBY FIXED MY SURFACE PRO 4 PROBLEMS
    2. Disabling Power Management On The Network Interface Card (NIC)

Good Luck

Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:11 PM
  • I spoke too soon, this has only helped the problem, it still remains.  Network adapter keeps flaking out.  Very frustrating.
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Further progress on this issue.  I noticed that when I switch the Marvel network device driver to the Microsoft version, it stays on the network, however if it switches to the Marvell version of the driver, it has problems (network & bluetooth keep dropping out) And it kept switching back to the Marvell version on reboot!!

To switch to the Microsoft version use this link:

How to properly update device drivers on Windows 10

• Scroll down to "Installing drivers manually"
    • You will be updating the driver on the Marvell Network Controller
    • When you browse for drivers, select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and select the Microsoft version of the driver.
    • Reboot

To permanently use the Microsoft Driver:

I found out that Windows 10 keeps re-installing the bad version of the driver on boot.  To disable this I followed the directions here:

How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10

This seems to have fixed it now so that the driver stays on the more stable version (the Microsoft version) and my network & bluetooth stop flaking out.

I will have to test and see if disabling power management in the post above was necessary in light of this new solution to use the Microsoft version of the driver exclusively.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I have a Surface Pro 4 and after my Keyboard stopped working I decided to get a Brydge 12.3, the moment I got it there were Bluetooth connectivity issues, the lag was unbearable

After a lot of research I realized there maybe an issue with the Avastar Wireless-AC Network Controller, I feel this was confirmed when disabling the driver in the device manager, when the drive was disabled there was no lag at all.

Unable to find drivers I played with the settings, I found that if I set the Band to "5GHz only" in the advanced tab the issue is fixed, for two days now i have had no lag, the laptop seems to be running a lot better.

I dont know if this will help others but it seemed to fix my specific problem and thought its worth sharing, I have not seen this method mention anywhere else, I had this problem for months and its been driving me nuts, hope it helps.

Nathan

Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:16 PM

Good luck

Dylan

This is the easiest solution and worked for me!  Hopefully my vote will bring his answer to the top as that was an easy and quick fix.  A shame people would need to read all of those others responses when this was quick and easy.
    • Edited by thebeez80 Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Hope you didn't throw yours away cause Dylan has the answer!

I had the same problem with intermittent disconnects on my Surface Book 8GB.

Good luck

Dylan

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:13 PM