none
Remote Desktop - Virtualizing a Second Monitor on the Client Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am the network admin for a small law firm. Recently, I have set up a remote gateway on a Small Business Server 2011 server that about 12 workstations are connected to for remote access. I then set up Remote Desktop on the users machines and everything seems to be working just fine. The problem is that users have used GoToMyPC for years and just aren't satisfied with the Remote Desktop interface, meaning we might go back to the old system if I can't  find a way to make them happy, and I really like Remote Desktop and think that it is, overall, a better solution. The part they're complaining about is that windows remote desktop presents a desktop/monitor configuration matched to that of the client computer on a remote desktop connection, as opposed to mirroring exactly what appears on the server-side, regardless of the client monitor configuration. I personally think that the way remote desktop handles this mismatch is way better than scrolling across two monitors on a single-monitor machine like they're used to (this is also sort of the way tightVNC works), but that really doesn't matter...

The only "solution" that I am aware of is to set up tightvnc on each machine and have users VPN in and use that, but vnc uses a scroll bar, as opposed to allowing them to put the cursor at the edge of the desktop like GoToMyPC, so I'm sure they wouldn't like that...

Anybody know of a way to get remote desktop to provide this functionality or another program that would, preferably without requiring users to connect via a PPTP VPN?

Thanks,
    Matt

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you asked your question in a forum for Project Server, a Project and Portfolio Management solution provided by Microsoft. I suggest to look for a more appropriate forum to get a valid reply.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Sorry, you have posted this question in a forum that is dedicated to Project, Project Server and Project Online.

Please post this in a relevant forum. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:51 PM