Timer location/position on the screen RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm using Steady State in a domain environment and it's working well. The one thing I need to fix is the location/position on the screen of the timer at the start of each session. When a user logs off, the timer location seems to be saved as part of the user profile. Is there a way to put the timer back to a fixed location at the start of every logon?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Locking the user's profile will prevent any changes from being saved to the user's registry hive.  This would ensure that the timer window could not save this new location.

Note that locking the profile also prevents the user from making permanent changes to any other files (desktop, documents, etc.) and registry settings in his profile.

Thanks,

Rob Elmer

Development Lead

Windows SteadyState

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows Vista and SteadyState, no feature can be used to fix the position of the session. The icon position is a part of the user profile so it should be saved after you log off the profile.

The following third party tool can help us to restore icons for all Desktop icons. However, it does not guarantee that it works for the timer session window.

http://www.webtlk.com/2008/08/08/restore-the-position-of-desktop-icons-after-changing-screen-resolution/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

You may try it. If it works, please let us know.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Locking the user's profile will prevent any changes from being saved to the user's registry hive.  This would ensure that the timer window could not save this new location.

Note that locking the profile also prevents the user from making permanent changes to any other files (desktop, documents, etc.) and registry settings in his profile.

Thanks,

Rob Elmer

Development Lead

Windows SteadyState

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:54 PM
  • I've done quite a bit of testing with .MAN profiles/locking profiles down but I'm still having a problem, both with the position/location and making sctuinotify.exe start consistently at the beginning of each session.

I've found a bit of a workaround for the position issue - that is setting permissions to RO for the user in HKCU\software\microsoft\shared computer toolkit\ - This sets the UINotify subkey which seems to contain the position of the timer. Setting it to RO seems to prevent the user from updating this key at logoff, thus fixed position.

However, even with the SCTUINotify.exe in the Programs Startup group, or in the RUN key within the HKCU registry hive, or attempting to start via the Logon group policy, I cannot make the timer start consistently. When it does start the position is now consistent, but getting it to start when the user logs in is causing some problems.

If the user never moves the timer it works fine (hmmm..). But one thing that seems to trigger it is if the user moves the timer off the screen in some shape or form (top, left, bottom, right edge of the screen), it won't start up on the next logon. The logon after that it does run again...huh?

So now the problem seems to be either preventing the user from moving any portion of the timer UI off any edge of the screen, or perhaps preventing the user from moving the UI at all.

Any ideas about making SCTUINotify.exe start consistently at each logon would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I found some tools, but it seems that they can lock only Desktop icons, but not any pop-up sessions. The behavior of the timer session may be by design.

If you would like to lock the session balloon, maybe only Rob's suggestion can be a workaround. However, user cannot change anything for their profile anymore in that case.

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Rob,

I am also having some issues with SteadyState.  I'm using it to control a group of public access computers in a lilbrary.  I have setup a desktop for a public user with a custom background.  After I've set up the Guest's user profile, I lock it under steady state. 

It removes the background.  (My first gripe)

Next, some users move the timer below the level of the taskbar.  Is there a registry setting that will keep the timer in the foreground?

Regards on an excellant product.

Nick Ramoundos
    nick@ramoundos-systems.com
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:10 AM