install additional domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install additional domain controller to existing domain in Windows server 2008 to use it as alternative domain in case my existing domain has fail, my question is, does the additional domain controller auto replicate all my private data ( user profiles, other data on different drive) plus the schema files from the existing domain?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Active Directory has a distributed directory structure and stores objects (users, computers, printers etc). Objects which are stored in Active Directory are distributed different domain controllers in a forest. Active Directory replication is the process by which the changes that originate on one domain controller are automatically transferred to other domain controllers in the forest.
    Your private data is not stored in AD database, as far as I know, AD replication would not replicate them to DCs, and you could manually copy them to the additional DC.
    Please see more details about AD replication from:
    How Active Directory Replication Works
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4592.how-active-directory-replication-works.aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Friday, March 2, 2018 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Monday, March 5, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Since the thread is quite for days, can we think that it is fixed? If that is the case, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly. And we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution if you solve it by own method.

Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Wendy

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:02 AM