Internal mail flow not working and Event ID 9041 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Based on Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V I have setup a small Environment consisting of two servers: A domain Controller and an exchange server 2016. For preparation and Installation of Exchange 2016 I followed these steps: https://judeperera.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/step-by-step-guide-for-installing-exchange-server-2016-preview/ I have two user and mailboxes. If I try to send an email to the own Mail box it is hanging in ´Outgoing´ (Outlook) or it remains in ´drafts (OWA). Same when I try to send from one mailbox to the other mailbox. This means internal mail flow is not working.

Mail flow -- send connector is empty and I did not create an connector for external mail yet. So I have the following questions:
    1. Should internal mail transport work by default after installation of an Exchange Server 2016 or are there any post tasks required.
    2. In Event log I see constant entries Event ID 9041 ( Details s. below)  Or is this the reason for my problem?
    Thank you for any info or help on that in advance!
    car995

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Assistants

Date:          12/13/2015 3:54:56 PM

Event ID:      9041

Task Category: Assistants

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      SERVER12.ateam23.local

Description:

Service MSExchangeSubmission.  An exception has been thrown: Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.TransientMailboxException

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.TraceAndThrow(Action function, AIException aiException, String nonLocalizedAssistantName)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.CatchMeIfYouCan(Boolean translateToPermanentException, Action function, String nonLocalizedAssistantName, ISet`1 permanentExceptions)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Base.CatchMeIfYouCan(Boolean translateToPermanentException, Action function, String nonLocalizedAssistantName, ISet`1 permanentExceptions)

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="MSExchange Assistants" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32772">9041</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>1</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-13T14:54:56.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>19339</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SERVER12.ateam23.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>MSExchangeSubmission</Data>

<Data>Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.TransientMailboxException

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.TraceAndThrow(Action function, AIException aiException, String nonLocalizedAssistantName)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.CatchMeIfYouCan(Boolean translateToPermanentException, Action function, String nonLocalizedAssistantName, ISet`1 permanentExceptions)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Base.CatchMeIfYouCan(Boolean translateToPermanentException, Action function, String nonLocalizedAssistantName, ISet`1 permanentExceptions)</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hello Jim I investigated and finally solved my problem.

I extended the organization with a second exchange server. Right after the installation I was able to send and receive a few emails, but then it also did not work anymore. Any time I also saw that one the first exchange server one email of my many attempts arrived in a mailbox on my first exchange server. With sending emails with Telnet and checking with get-queue I finally found that the emails are hanging in the queue and I saw an error “451 4.4.0 DNS query failed. The error was SMTSEND.DNS.NotExistentDomain”.
    The fact that hardly someone is reporting such a problem with internal mail flow right after installation of a single Exchange server 2016 made me aware that I obviously made an error which no one else is making in this world. (:
    As preferred DNS server on NIC of my Exchange Server I entered 192.168.178.41 which is my DC and DNS Server. As alternate DNS Server I entered 192.168.178.1 which is my Broad Band Router. I deleted the entry in alternate DNS Server and the internal mail flow started working properly.
    Tue to the fact that I do not need two exchange servers and removing one seemed too much work for me, I restored an earlier state of my Hyper-V Servers, emptied alternate DNS Server on the NIC setting, repeated the installation of the exchange server and internal mail flow worked just fine.

I do not have the deep knowledge on DNS and Exchange to explain why the setting of alternate DNS Server setting for the NIC causes a problem on SMTPSEND.

I do not have an error Event ID 9041 after the new installation

Anyway thank you for your help.
    Car995

• Marked as answer by car995 Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:36 AM
    • Edited by car995 Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:38 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hello Jackandwinie
    yes, it is solved and working now.

As preferred DNS server on NIC of my Exchange Server I entered 192.168.178.41 which is my DC and DNS Server. As alternate DNS Server I entered 192.168.178.1 which is my Broad Band Router. I deleted/emptied the entry in alternate DNS Server and the internal mail flow started working properly.
    Tue to the fact that I do not need two exchange servers and removing one seemed too much work for me, I restored an earlier state of my Hyper-V Servers, emptied alternate DNS Server on the NIC setting, repeated the installation of the exchange server and internal mail flow worked just fine.
    (entire answer see on top of this thread)

car995

• Marked as answer by car995 Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi car,

Thank you for your question.

Issue1:

A: the internal mail flow work by default after Exchange 2016 was installed.

Issue2:

A: By this issue, we could login Exchange, then make sure the necessary services are running, we could refer to the following snapshot:

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 14, 2015 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, as said by Jim please check the services. Also would recommend you to please run the below tool.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ to check the connectivity for the mailflow.

as per event id 9041 please refer to the below article

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Exchange&ProdVer=8.0&EvtID=2016&EvtSrc=MSExchangeTransport

Regards,

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on Exchange 2016 @ Techrid.com

• Proposed as answer by Praveen Eppili Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:15 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hello Jim

I have checked, these services are running! ??

Car995

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:36 PM
  • Hi Praveen

If understand it correct testconnectivity and

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Exchange&ProdVer=8.0&EvtID=2016&EvtSrc=MSExchangeTransport

is related to external connectivity and transport.
    I am not yet so far. I have no external connectors created yet.

I can connect via Outlook and OWA from a PC within the domain.
    But an email cannot be sent to the own mailbox. According Jim´s answer this should work by default.

Car995

• Proposed as answer by Praveen Eppili Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:15 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Hi car995,

Did the issue solve?

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:27 AM
  • I'm also having this same Error. Event ID 9041 after new Exch2016 install with old Exch2013 still running. Internal mail and external seem fine, but this event is filling up the event logs. Any ideas?
    • Proposed as answer by Charlie Echo Friday, December 18, 2015 6:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Charlie Echo Friday, December 18, 2015 6:38 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Im also seeing the same problem which is affecting internal mail submission to the store.
    Friday, December 18, 2015 5:04 PM
  • I was able to resolve the Warning message(Event ID 9041) in the Event logs by simply Dismounting the Database and remounting it after just a few minutes!  This can be done in ECP under the Server page->Databases or ExchMGMTShell. Hopefully this will hold true for everyone else as it is a very easy fix.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Echo Friday, December 18, 2015 6:48 PM
    • Edited by Charlie Echo Friday, December 18, 2015 6:56 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hello Jim I investigated and finally solved my problem.

I extended the organization with a second exchange server. Right after the installation I was able to send and receive a few emails, but then it also did not work anymore. Any time I also saw that one the first exchange server one email of my many attempts arrived in a mailbox on my first exchange server. With sending emails with Telnet and checking with get-queue I finally found that the emails are hanging in the queue and I saw an error “451 4.4.0 DNS query failed. The error was SMTSEND.DNS.NotExistentDomain”.
    The fact that hardly someone is reporting such a problem with internal mail flow right after installation of a single Exchange server 2016 made me aware that I obviously made an error which no one else is making in this world. (:
    As preferred DNS server on NIC of my Exchange Server I entered 192.168.178.41 which is my DC and DNS Server. As alternate DNS Server I entered 192.168.178.1 which is my Broad Band Router. I deleted the entry in alternate DNS Server and the internal mail flow started working properly.

I do not have the deep knowledge on DNS and Exchange to explain why the setting of alternate DNS Server setting for the NIC causes a problem on SMTPSEND.

Anyway thank you for your help.
    Car995

• Marked as answer by car995 Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:36 AM
    • Edited by car995 Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:38 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:36 AM
  • I met the same problem, did you solve the problems?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Hello Jackandwinie
    yes, it is solved and working now.

As preferred DNS server on NIC of my Exchange Server I entered 192.168.178.41 which is my DC and DNS Server. As alternate DNS Server I entered 192.168.178.1 which is my Broad Band Router. I deleted/emptied the entry in alternate DNS Server and the internal mail flow started working properly.
    (entire answer see on top of this thread)

car995

• Marked as answer by car995 Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Thank you! And I've tried to rebuild the entire test system, including dc and exchange in VMware. Also the same problem, it cannot receive and send emails yet, whatever after resolved the 9041 errors. But I find another way to solve this problem temporary , that create a new mail database,then move all users' mailbox to the new database, finally everything is ok now. Unfortunately, I haven't known why it happened yet. Ps: after kill 9041 error, there full of 106 errors in the event viewer, and also the service "microsoft.exchange.notifications.broker" always be stopped.
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:10 AM
  • i have same Error ,, and i tried to restart Services and server more time but still have same issue 

my test lap with 3 VM i have ( DC + ADD + Ex1-2016) 

My Exchange server use DC DNS , and ADD as alternate DNS ,, i remove second Dns Alternate but still have same error 

Error Be Hidden when i dismount all Exchange DB's ,, but when i mount them again same Error flood Event viewer .

i tried to move all users to another DB,, but nothing changed ,, :(

Error happen after i changed Virtual Directory for my new Accepted Domain , and using SSL Certificate ,, for SMTP ,IIS,POP,IMAP Services

i also tried to Rebuild New Test Lap ,, and Same Error -_- 

Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:43 AM
  • I experienced the same issue with my new test lab in Azure IaaS environment, after long struggle I tried few steps to fix the problem,

first make sure that internal DNS server resolve and have a valid record for new accepted domain like (@ictconsult.com)

restart the services and better to wait for sometime to let the new domain synchronized.  

Thursday, February 11, 2016 5:07 PM