NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller important update causes blue screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have automatic updates enabled to install important and critical updates.  The important update

NVIDIA Corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

Installation date: ‎7/‎14/‎2007 3:01 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

This driver was provided by NVIDIA Corporation for support of NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=2007

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

causes my machine to blue screen with an irq_not_less_or_equal stop message.  Interestingly the crash dump never completes [it actually never even starts since the driver seems to make the drive unwritable].  When I restart/reset the machine I am able to get to the F8 screen and select the "Last know good configuration" option and the machine starts normally and seems to be ok.  I have attempted to hide the important update since it is causing this problem but I think it is important to be able to report these kinds of problems to Micrsoft since the blue screen is not a user induced error.  If it is coming from microsoft and the "signed" hardware quality labs tested driver is being installed as an automatic update that causes this problem  I would think they would want to know about it.  I would have run the crash analysis and posted up that way but as I said the crash dump never actually writes out to disk so there is nothing to post back to Microsoft. 

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition on a 500GB Samsung SATA hard drive [HD501LJ] connected to a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard onboard nvidia sata port.  The motherboard has the latest BIOS updates and the silicon image sata chip is configured for RAID 5 with three 500GB drive connected in RAID 5.  None of the devices in the Device Manager show any warnings or errors.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:08 AM

All replies

•             This happened to my 32 bit machine friday night, only mine will not recover.

Goes through post, splash screen starts, quick blue screen, then it starts the process all over again. Thankfully, I back up with Acronis and was able to restore my image.

Tons of people are loosing thier Vista installs.

Whats up with this MS?

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:26 PM
  • I had the same issue.  When your machine is loading you need to see what other device is sharing an IRQ with the serial controller.  Disabling or removing this device in your bios should allow you to log in.  It is probably your onboard sound if you are using a nforce 4. After disabling my sound card i was able to log in and roll my Serial controller driver back.  Everything is back to working as designed now. 

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Try getting the latest driver from NVIDIA's website or switch to the inbox Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:49 PM