AlreadyInUse when running BPA RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to run a Best Practice Analyser on our DNS, I get following error:

PS> invoke-bpamodel -id Microsoft/Windows/DNSServer
    invoke-bpamodel : There has been a Best Practice Analyzer error for Model Id: 'Microsoft/Windows/DNSServer'. A Best Practice Analyzer task is currently running, and the 'Model' resources are currently in use. Please wait for the task to complete.
    At line:1 char:1
    + invoke-bpamodel -id microsoft/windows/dnsserver
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo           : ResourceBusy: (:)  [Invoke-BpaModel, CommandLetException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AlreadyInUse,Microsoft.BestPractices.Cmdlet.RunScanCommand

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2882634, I should remove WSSGBPA_lock. But I can not fint this file.

Even if I run the BPA from the Server Manager, I get the same problem

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the OS version of your server? If the server is SBS 2011, you could find he lock file in location "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MicrosoftBaselineConfigurationAnalyzer 2\Reports\WSSGBPAResults\” .

Have you tried to run BPA via GUI to see if the issue persists?

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Andy Qi Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:58 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:54 AM
  • The OS on the server is "Windows Server 2012 Core"

The location "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MicrosoftBaselineConfigurationAnalyzer 2" do not exist, so it is not possible to follow the instructions in KB2882634. I have done a global search, and the directory or file do not exist on the system.

I have try to run BPA from the Server Manager on another server, and I get following message (translated from Swedish):
    There has been a Best Practice Analyzer error for Model Id: 'Microsoft/Windows/DNSServer'. A Best Practice Analyzer task is currently running, and the 'Model' resources are currently in use. Please wait for the task to complete.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Is there anyone who has an answer to my question?
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:15 AM
  • On Windows Server 2016 lock files can be found here:
    %windir%\Logs\BPA\Reports\Microsoft\Windows\*\*_lock
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 4:27 PM