ActiveSync user becomes meeting organizer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, our setup is Exchange 2007 SP2 Rollup 3, with Outlook 2007 SP2 on our clients and a BlackBerry BES server. We have about 400 users and separate Storage Groups/databases for each department. In one department, we have had an ongoing issue with appointments. Here's what has happened:

UserA will send out a meeting request that includes UserB and UserC. UserB will accept the meeting; when she does, UserC becomes the meeting organizer, whether or not UserC accepts the meeting. UserA can no longer make changes to the meeting.

UserA has a desktop computer and no mobile device (in case this makes any difference); UserB has a BlackBerry and is connected to our BES; UserC has an iPhone with ver. 4 software on it and has ActiveSync enabled. I checked carefully - neither UserB nor UserC use their mobile devices to accept the meetings (I know that can cause problems). This is a repeatable problem.

I have checked permissions. Originally, these 3 users were Reviewers on each others' calendars. We removed that and tested; the problem still occurs. I check their mailboxes with PFDAVAdmin just to make sure. We have used the /cleanfreebusy switch. The problem seems to go away for a few days and then returns.

These are not the only users with the problem, but it seems to revolve around one or more of them. Help please.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It some time happens that active sync cause a corruption in the calendar, in that case you can fix with the tool "MFCMapi", you can delete the calendar. In fact, it is also displaying an error if you chosse the calendar.

1. A backup of the items with Outlook. 
    2. Deleted the calendar with MFCMapi
    3. Openend Outlook with recreates the folder
    4. Imported the calendar items

Interesting fact is that the backup "export into a pst-file" did not work because of the corrupt calendar. So changed the view to list and selected all dates via CTRL-A and moved them to a newly created calendar folder.

Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:24 AM
  • All right, I can export and delete the calendar. But which calendar do I delete? None of the calendars are generating errors when the users look at them.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:13 PM
  • rgould5,

There are three MAPI properties that Exchange clients can key off of for determining organizer information.  Here’s a quick summary of what they are with details on how to inspect them using the  MFCMAPI tool mentioned by Ripu:

1.       For meeting requests, a Recipient table exists showing each attendee.  The organizer is represented here when PR_Recipient_Flags = 3

2.       PR_ Sent_Representing_Email_Address and/or PR_Sender_Email_Address

3.       named prop0x8217 dispidapptstateflags [can also show up as MessageStatus]

if the value is 1 = olMeeting it means you’re the organizer

if the value is 3 = olMeetingRecieved it means you received the item so you can’t possibly be the organizer

In your situation, the organizer seems to be modified on the calendar item in all three users’ mailboxes at the same time.  This usually means an application that has privileges to each mailbox is the culprit.  Generally, if ActiveSync or an ActiveSync device is contributing to the problem, only the mobile device user’s calendar item would be affected.

The best approach is to inspect which organizer attributes are changed on each person’s calendar item.  Then, with careful repro steps, see if you can identify the user or service account that is making the changes.  Take a look at the examples below:

Here’s the details of what Recipient Table looks like [requires MFCMAPI available http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com from a PC with Outlook].  This isn’t a user friendly tool, but it’s very helpful in identifying what’s changed. 

·         When you first launch the tool, select the menu item Session, Logon and Display Store Table.

·         Now select an Outlook profile to login with

·         If you see Mailbox - <username> in the list of display names you’re doing good.  Double-click this to launch the next window.

·         In this window, drill into the mailbox 

MFCMAPI Recipient Table

-To find the appointment you’re troubleshooting, go to the calendar folder underneath IPM_SUBTREE.  Sorting by Subject will usually help get to item quickest.  Select the item, and Action Menu(?) / and Display Attachment table.    You will see a list of recipients in a new window.  There should be a "3" in the PR-RECIPIENTS_FLAGS columb for the organizer.

- A healthy recipient table - the PR_RECIPIENT_FLAGS indicates whether a recipient is the organizer, or an attendee [this column is actually all the way to the right ].  When the PR_RECIPIENT_FLAGS = 3, that indicates the organizer.  For example, if the delegate organized a meeting with the manager and E2k7 Native being the required attendees. PR_Recipient_Flag should be 3 for the Delegate.  If not, then the calender item was modified by something.

- Going back to the calender item, PR_SENDER_EMAIL  shows Distinguished Name (DN) of the sender.

- Ok.  Back on the calender item, if the organizer is listed as wrong person, look to see the last person to modify the item.  Here’s where you can find out what account last modified the calendar item.   Look at the Column "Property Names" for row PR_Last_Modifier_Name.  This is the account that last modified the item and is probably the culprit. 

I hope this helps!

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Thanks for your detailed response, I will go to the desktops involved and do some searching with the tool.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Good information, but why the heck is this so complex!  I'm seeing an increasing number of calendar oddities with the proliferation of mobile device use.  Microsoft had better get something figured out soon, this is killing me!
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hello,

regarding the PR_RECIPIENT_FLAGS, is there any way to modify that recipient? having 2-3 attendees and 1 owner, is there any way that i can change the owner from 3 to another digit, and make another attendee owner by putting 3 in their recipient?

i tried to right click and modify, but it was greyed out. is there anything else i should be doing?

thank you

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Did that thing work? I'm having almost the same problem with my end-user. UserA creates the meeting, UserB and C accepts it (or not, doesn't matter) and then UserA losts the organizer status. No-one will have the permissions to edit the meeting after all.

I will try with MFCMAPI and let you guys know if it works or not. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:34 AM