none
Random DHCP IP Addresses can't access Internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 separate clients having an issue with random DHCP IP Addresses unable to access the internet.

It is random - and occurs ever couple of weeks

I get a complaint that a computer cannot access the internet - but can access all internal IP addresses.

These are DHCP Addresses and all the computers get the correct Default Gateway and DNS Settings

I have Cisco 3560G switches and Server 2016 domain Controllers

If I remove the IP address from DHCP and the computer gets a new IP address everything starts to work again.  I have 4 or 5 IP addresses I don't hand out anymore - I am worried that if I allow them to be acquired they will not work

This started occurring around April or May 2017 - I cannot figure out what is going on.

Anyone else seeing this?

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:00 PM

All replies

• going to need to more trouble shooting then this my friend.

can the client hit the gateway? can the client hit past the gateway? can the host resolve addresses? what do the logs say when the user tries to establish an external connection? did you setup the network? are you acquainted with access control lists? do you use IPv4? IPv6? is IPv6 enabled on the adapter? is IPv6 setup for distribution on your DHCP? does your gateway?

I worry for you.

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Client can ping gateway and all internal addresses.

Client can resolve all DNS requests because DNS Server is the internal DC

IP4 only - no IP v6 on anything

Yes - I set up network - very simple - 2 switches and a Juniper Firewall

No ACLs on switches - Firewall allow all going out

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:40 PM
  • try follow:

1. tracert an external IP address to see the results

2. double check the client firewall settings

3. check client NIC profile and make sure it's domain network.

Monday, July 10, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Hi SDH_Expert

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Did you resolve this issue. I have the same problem. The work around is to exclude the IP address, forcing the client to get a new IP. Works every time but can't figure out how to correct either. 
    Monday, February 5, 2018 9:27 PM
  • This issue went away for a couple of months and it now is back

I have changed the Firewall from a Juniper to a Palo Alto and it still happens - which makes me think it is not Firewall related

I will have to wait for it to happen when I am on site to troubleshoot more on the physical computer

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:26 PM