Installing old hard drive on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new computer today and put in my old hard drive with Windows XP Pro. It boots up but only goes to the failed Windows startup screen, and trying to get into safe mode just keeps me in that loop. I can get into BIOS but I don't know what or if I should change anything there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in fixing this.

• Edited by Laughingdog Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:53 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:52 PM

All replies

• This is normal when you change the computer motherboard.  Your old installation has the drivers and information for the motherboard it was installed on.

Your only hope it that you might be able to do a Repair install of Windows XP.  When you boot from the installation CD you do not want to select the Repair the first time it is presented.  You need to go on a few steps and you should see another option to Repair the current installation.

If that does not work, your only other option is to do a complete re-installation of Windows XP.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Would putting the hard drive back in the old computer to uninstall all the old system devices help at all?
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:35 PM