none
Capacity planning possible in Project? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

At my work I was asked to look into their planning and come up with a format that all project managers could use. Part of this was a capacity planning so they can see for every week what the needed and availlable capacity is. Nothing more, nothing less. They used to do this in Excel. They made a simple list of tasks per project in the first column. On a horizontal row were the week numbers. Underneath they assigned # of FTE's to each task per week and summed it all up below each project. It was very simple to see how much capacity was needed each week.

When they asked me, they told me they had purchased Microsoft Project Standard and the project managers went to a training allready. The format they asked me to come up with involved a capacity planning in MS Project. Now while learning MS Project for the first time, I discover that there isn't a functionallity for a capacity plan or any other way to see the needed capacity for a specific week. I just want to make sure that I'm right about this. So hopefully someone can relieve me and tell me how it is. Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 28, 2014 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, let's make the assumption that your capacity planning is project related. Meaning that you're not intending at consolidating capacity over all organization'S projects.

That being stated, here is how you could process. Create a simple project plan like this one: 4 activities, 2 resources:

Then switch to the task usage view and format it by weeks using the view tab. Setting the work in days from the options menu/schedule, you'll have a view which looks like what you mentionned, except that it is not FTE displayed but days per weeks. Note that the advantage for the PM is that they can manually type in the timephased grid the amount of work. This is summarized at task level (in case you have more than 1 resource on the task) and at project level (assuming you displayed the proejct summary task).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:25 PM
  • Finally note that using the combined resource graph, you can have such an interesting view which could support capacity planning.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks! I think that if this is the best Project can do, I will have to discuss if we keep with Project or have to look for something else. :|

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:43 PM
  • You're more than welcome. Note that you can always export the project plan to Excel and do some treatment then.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:50 PM
  • I know this might not be the right place to ask this, but is there any project management software for professional use that can do this kind of resource loaded planning/critical chain things and also has the ability to do capacity planning?
    Friday, November 28, 2014 1:53 PM
  • First of all, Project Server DO offer capacity planning through for example resource plan. Then the powerful reporting features allow organizations consolidating the resource demand versus the capacity and bring portfolio views.

That being said, if you're talking about the critical chain, there are many tools on the market that support the CCPM. Here are some of them:

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:00 PM
  • I'm gonna dive into it! Thanks! With your experience and having read my other posts do you think something like CCPM is more suitable than Critical Path?
    Friday, November 28, 2014 2:55 PM
  • I think that what you want to do (ie integrating the resource allocation dimension in the critical path) will require to swith between the standard critical path and a usage view dealing with overallocations.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 28, 2014 3:03 PM
  • No, I don't.
    Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:06 AM