none
Changing Type from Fixed Work to Fixed Duration completes the task RRS feed

• Question

• When I am changing Type from Fixed Work to Fixed Duration on a task that is already started, % Complete goes to 100 when the FInish date is still in the future. I am not sure why it is happening
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• MattAv,

Wow, although it is certainly within the capability of Project to have that many resources on a given task, in my opinion (and experience) it is totally unrealistic. The only type of task I could conceive for that many "resources" is a meeting in which each attendee is a "resource", but I'm sure there are better ways to handle meetings with multiple attendees.

As far as understanding why removing the excessive resources worked, I don't know. Obviously something about the convoluted complexity of that task is the culprit. You might try backtracking by putting half the resources back, or perhaps starting over and only deleting half the resources and see what happens. In other words, try to "sneak up on the problem" by removing a few resources at a time and see where the problem gets resolved.

John

• Marked as answer by MattAv Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:49 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:49 AM

All replies

• MattAv,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Second, do you have the latest service pack installed? You can get the latest updates at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587. Third, does this occur with all tasks or just particular tasks?

Assuming you have the latest update installed, more information about the task specifics would help us help you (e.g. one resource, multiple resources, calendar, auto/manual schedule, links, etc.).

John

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:02 PM
  • We are using Project Pro 2010 in the Project Server 2010/PWA environment
    It is SP 1 and it is an issue that I am having with one task
    Task has multiple resources, no calendars, it is auto scheduled
    • Edited by MattAv Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:00 PM
  • MattAv,

Okay, I don't do Project Server but I doubt being on Server makes any difference with your issue. However, you didn't say whether you have the latest service pack (SP1) installed. If not, install it. If it is already insatlled, what about the other information I requested?

John

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:14 PM
  • John,

I did respond. I edited the information in the thread.

SP1 is installed. Multiple resources, no calendars, auto scheduled

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:46 PM
  • MattAv,

Okay I see that. I must have read your response before you edited it. Since it only happens with one task, can you give us the details on that task. So far, we don't have much to go on.

John

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:44 AM
  • John

Task has 33 resources (do not ask why I am just troubleshooting the file). There are 6 resources that have Work but no Baseline Work. I thought it was strange and decided to remove them and see if it corrects my issue. It did. But I do not understand why.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:52 AM
  • MattAv,

Wow, although it is certainly within the capability of Project to have that many resources on a given task, in my opinion (and experience) it is totally unrealistic. The only type of task I could conceive for that many "resources" is a meeting in which each attendee is a "resource", but I'm sure there are better ways to handle meetings with multiple attendees.

As far as understanding why removing the excessive resources worked, I don't know. Obviously something about the convoluted complexity of that task is the culprit. You might try backtracking by putting half the resources back, or perhaps starting over and only deleting half the resources and see what happens. In other words, try to "sneak up on the problem" by removing a few resources at a time and see where the problem gets resolved.

John

• Marked as answer by MattAv Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:49 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:49 AM