Microsoft WORD and electronic signatures multiple signatures in a single document RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a version of Microsoft Word to do multiple signatures to a single document that would reside on our company server. This would be for internal use only.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, It seems impossible to add multiple Electronic signature to the same document.

Office 2007/2010 can let you add multiple digital signatures to the same document.

For 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc545901(office.12).aspx

For 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc545900.aspx

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Thanks William. I got this far last week and I am hitting the same wall. After I sign it "Marks As Final" and makes it a read only. Then the next person opens it and it says it will remove the signature if you edit this file. How do you stop it from doing that and get to pass on. Also, right before I signed I got an error. I've enclosed both screen shots of what I am talking about.
    Cyndi Maciejowski
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:59 PM
  • You might get an invalid signature if the computer from which you are viewing a signed document does not have the root public certificate from which to verify the signer's certificate.  Install that onto your computer and it may correct the problem.

Once you edit a file, it will invalidate the signature.  The signature is generated such that if one bit of the document's data is flipped, the signature will be invalid and the document can be known to have been modified after its signature.

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:07 AM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/collect-signatures-in-a-document-by-using-a-workflow-HA010220202.aspx

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Multiple signatures are possible. Once the first person signs, on the lower left you will see Page: 1 of 1 | Words: 100 | and the red digital signature icon. Click the icon and a signatures box will open on the right.

There will be a requested signatures section which contains the names of those individuals who still need to sign the document. The person clicks their name and signs the document. No need to save the document its done automatically. The next person will do the same thing and no need to save after they do and so on.

No signatures are invalid as others sign.

For sending via e-mail. The document must still be saved to the persons computer (Microsoft security feature) somewhere but they must add a number, special character or something to the end of the name when they save it. It can then b forwarded to the next person and they must do the same thing.

When the document gets back to the creator, that person can save the document to their computer and rename the document taking the numbers or whatever off the end.

• Edited by Latasha Wills Friday, July 17, 2015 10:07 PM Added E-Mail Sending
    • Proposed as answer by superschaf Monday, March 14, 2016 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Thank you very much Latasha Wills. You saved tons of documents work for multiple signatures. Thanks again
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:49 AM
  • I was hoping that this would be an answer, but only in part (unless I'm doing something wrong)(again)!

I see that the addition of a signature automatically saves the document and locks it. I can open it again on a different computer, and it lets me add a signature (by using the Signatures task pane).

However, I am unable to edit it, or save it, without Word 2016 removing any of the signatures. (So the emailing by adding character(s) to the filename doesn't work.)

This means (and I presume it is done by design) Signatures are meant to be used only on a "Sealed Document".

This doesn't really work for a Workflow, where 1 person edits, signs "their bit" passes it on and one or more others would do the same... :-(

25 years in IT?

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:23 AM