none
Have summary times display in human friendly terms. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project 2010 Pro. Is there a way to have the time display the way humans talk? If I have time work time set to hours and duration set to days. When I view the project summary at the highest level it shows that the work time is 2,962.1 hours. Can I have Project automatically do the math to show a more reasonable value like 123.28 days?
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:45 PM

Answers

• You may add a custom duration field and to show the work in days.  It will not be just for the summary task however.  If you insert one of the custom duration fields (Duration1 for example) and customize the field with a formula [Work] it will show the work value formatted in days.  To show for the summary task, select "Use formula" in the "Calculation for task and group summary rows".

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by zmag Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:37 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• You may add a custom duration field and to show the work in days.  It will not be just for the summary task however.  If you insert one of the custom duration fields (Duration1 for example) and customize the field with a formula [Work] it will show the work value formatted in days.  To show for the summary task, select "Use formula" in the "Calculation for task and group summary rows".

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by zmag Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:37 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Considering how many other things I need to learn in Project, this can wait ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Feel free to post back for a more detailed step-by-step if that would help.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:04 PM
  • zmag,

Julie's suggestion of a custom field is probably the best to get it done inside the project file.  However, I had a similar issue with a client who could not convert decimal durations into "real time", but they also did not want another field in the project file to deal with.  This was easily taken care of by a simple table (you could do one manually in Excel) which indicated the decimal equivalents of days, weeks, and months.

For example:

.13 days = 1 hour (assuming a standard 8 hour day) Project rounds it up from .125

.2 weeks = 1 day (assuming 5 day work weeks)

.5 months = 10 work days (unless the Calendar options have been changed from the default of 20 days = 1 month)

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:36 PM