"Error 40003: The storage involving the current operation could not be read from or written to." DPM 2016 installed on windows 2016 server get error: RRS feed

• Question

• Use DPM. Had to install a DPM2016 server to backup a windows 2016 server. Get the situation where can not backup with the error "

Error 40003: The storage involving the current operation could not be read from or written to.

Recommended action: Ensure that the storage is healthy, mounted, not in use by other processes, and has enough free space for this operation, and then retry the operation."

I have 7.6TB free 3.5TB used only way to get it back working is to delete the replica from disk and reinitialize. then it works for a number of days and I have the problem again. I can not keep deleting my backups.

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:12 AM

All replies

• Did you find any resolution? I have same issue.
    Monday, July 3, 2017 4:08 PM
  • I have also the same problem
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:28 AM
  • I also have the same issue. Did you manage to find a resolution?
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Same here.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Our DPM storage is mounted through ScaleIO. Every time we see this error, a reboot of the server is sufficient to solve the problem. I guess this is only relevant with ScaleIO.
    Monday, May 28, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Hello,

I was able to fix the problem with removing the last recovery point of affected data source.

You can check my blog post for necessary steps. 

http://www.matej.guru/2018/06/05/dpm-2016-the-storage-involving-the-current-operation-could-not-be-read-from-or-written-to-id-40003/

Hope this helps

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:54 AM
  • DpmSync -ReallocateReplica

Use the command up in DPM Server on powershell and then do the relocate republica, then Tadaaa problem solved!

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:44 AM

Use the command up in DPM Server on powershell and then do the relocate republica, then Tadaaa problem solved!

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:45 AM