Code 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron 530 S with Windows Vista Home Premium system. I am getting a code 10 saying that the DVD/Cd Rw drive won't open.  I have checked for updated driver and it says that my driver is up to date. How do you correct this problem or is the hardware bad?

Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Grandma Carla.

Quoting the Microsoft Knowledge base article 943104:"The Code 10 error code is generated when Device Manager has insufficient information or the error that is bubbled up by the device drivers is not recognized by Device Manager.  Additionally, this error may occur when one of the drivers that the device needs does not start. If many drivers are being used by a particular device, it can be difficult to determine the one that failed. [...] The Code 10 error pertains mainly to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows."
    If that problem started to arise after performing some update and/or change in the system configuration, try reverting back your system to a previous well functioning state by applying a restore point. Check the Windows "System" log in the Event Viewer to see if there's any record related to a hardware failure and/or a driver loading failure.
    If the Device Manager cannot solve this problem by looking for an updated driver for your device, contact Dell Support ans ask for assistance: it coult be a hardware failure.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:27 PM