Lync 2013 to Microsoft Teams RRS feed

• Question

• I understand and have read several articles that show the upgrade path from Lync Server 2013 to Teams is a two step process needing to have a hybrid server then perform a move. What I cannot find an answer to is the why?

We currently have Lync Server 2013 on prem.
    All users (roughly 1200) are already licensed and use Teams for IM and Teams collaboration while using Lync on prem for scheduling conference calls and also IM.
    We have roughly 40 users configured with the Conferencing policy allowing that set of users to use the phone number options to schedule conferences from Teams.

Teams is currently configured for Islands mode for all users.

Why can't we just enable that feature for all users and decommission the on prem Lync environment instead of performing the move?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hi arosas,

According to your description, you are now using Lync on-premises and Teams Island mode.

When upgrade Lync server to Teams, administrators can manage the user experience in their organization using the concept of coexistence "mode". Using mode, administrators manage interop and migration as they manage the transition from Skype for Business to Teams.

If you don’t want to use Lync on-premises anymore, you could decommission it. However, all the database will lose.

You can refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/migration-interop-guidance-for-teams-with-skype#coexistence-modes

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hello Sharon,  I have read that document you referenced. From what I am gathering, it seems that an upgrade path may not be necessary, especially since we do not use Skype for calling, only for conferencing?
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:39 PM
  • Hi arosas,

If you want to receive calls in Teams Client, you can set the coexistence mode as Teams Only mode. 

However, using Teams only mode in combination with other users in Island mode is not recommend until Teams adoption is saturated, i.e. all Island mode users actively use and monitor both the Teams and Skype for Business clients.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Hi arosas,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Here I will provide a brief and temporary summary of this post.

<Request/Expectation>:

Users environment: Lync Server 2013 on premises, Microsoft Teams configured for islands mode for all users.

Users want to enable conference, calls and IM for all users in Teams and decommission the on-premises Lync environment instead of performing the upgrade steps between Lync and Microsoft Teams.

Users think that upgrade may not be necessary, especially do not use Skype for calling, only for conferencing.

<Suggestions>:

When upgrade Lync server to Teams, administrators can manage the user experience in their organization using the concept of coexistence "mode". Using mode, administrators manage interop and migration as they manage the transition from Skype for Business to Teams.

If you don’t want to use Lync on-premises anymore, you could decommission it. However, all the database will lose.

<Reference Links>:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/migration-interop-guidance-for-teams-with-skype#coexistence-modes

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Monday, November 11, 2019 8:53 AM
  • I too have this question and as they doesn't appear to be any accepted answer. Would you be able to expand on how you would go about decommissioning the Lync 2013 server, and what database you would lose? 

Monday, August 3, 2020 2:16 AM