forest domain rename in windows 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I have to expand our current Windows 2012 network, which was setup by previous sysadmin .
    The problem is that my current forest and root domain is child.domain.com it should be domain.com
    The goal is to keep child.domain.com as a child domain but root forest should be domain.com
    So is it possible to rename the root forest domain, but still keep that domain name as a child domain for existing domain users ?
    Basically I want only rename the forest domain name and keep current domain name as child domain name .
    the goal is if I need to create more child domain in existing tree they will be :
    newname.domain.com and not newdomain.child.domain.com
    Hope that makes sense.
    never done domain rename before , thanks in advance
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Start here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208(v=WS.10).aspx

Or, don't even do it.  Rebuild the domain properly.  Domain rename is not a recommended practice.  Depending on what you have running in your domain, it might simply break things.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, November 11, 2013 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by edsyn Monday, November 11, 2013 1:40 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:11 PM
  • thanks for quick reply , the issue is this is my root domain - so what I do ? build new forest domain.com ? thanks

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:45 PM
  • That would be my recommendation.  Time-consuming, yes.  But, have you tested all the applications that run in your domain to see that they can work after a domain rename?  For example, unless something has changed, if you are running Exchange, you cannot perform a domain rename without breaking Exchange.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, November 11, 2013 1:26 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:25 PM
  • thanks again!
    Friday, November 8, 2013 7:35 PM
  • I think the bigger question is why to you want to change the forest root to domain.com?

Why is there a need to use that instead of using child.domain.com?

What is it you are trying to accomplish with that particular name?

Thanks

Ed

Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:32 AM
  • I think the bigger question is why to you want to change the forest root to domain.com?

Why is there a need to use that instead of using child.domain.com?

What is it you are trying to accomplish with that particular name?

Thanks

Ed

Question                    
    You cannot vote on your own post                            

Hi Ed ,

here is why I want to change the domain name, is there another way do reorganize the AD ?

I did a lot of researches , we are growing company I want to make sure that our AD is well build.

so my understanding that the best AD practice is domain.com and then for child domains child.domain.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              

I have to expand our current Windows 2012 network, which was setup by previous sysadmin .
    The problem is that my current forest and root domain is child.domain.com it should be domain.com
    The goal is to keep child.domain.com as a child domain but root forest should be domain.com
    So is it possible to rename the root forest domain, but still keep that domain name as a child domain for existing domain users ?
    Basically I want only rename the forest domain name and keep current domain name as child domain name .
    the goal is if I need to create more child domain in existing tree they will be :
    newname.domain.com and not newdomain.child.domain.com
    Hope that makes sense.
    never done domain rename before , thanks in advance

regards

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:47 PM