Wrong characters when I type RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to rename the entries on my Favourites Bar the characters that get entered bear no resemblance to what I actually type. Why should this be? In any other circumstances (e.g. in Word) the right letters get typed.
     I now find that even if I hit the same key the character typed is the next one in the keyboard. So I can get any letter I want just by hitting the same key until it turns up and then deleting the others!
    • Edited by cryptogram Monday, October 13, 2014 3:57 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried to change another keyboard for test?

In addition, according to your description, I suggest you use your antivirus to scan the whole computer and deal with the threat.

Besides that, I also suggest you try to reset the Internet Explorer to check if it could resolve the issue:

1.Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button.  In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

3.Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5.Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

6.In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

7.When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

8.Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 17, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please user on-screen keyboard to test if the issue persists.

About how to use it, please follow this guide:

Type without using the keyboard (On-Screen Keyboard)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/type-without-keyboard#type-without-keyboard=windows-7

If it works fine, it might be your keyboard itself issue, run hardware troubleshooter for test:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

If it's not useful, change a new keyboard to resolve the issue.

Meanwhile, check your keyboard setting:

Change keyboard settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-keyboard-settings#1TC=windows-7

Karen Hu

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:00 AM
  • Thanks for this. I tried using the on-screen keyboard and that worked OK. So I tried the Windows troubleshooter but that that was inconclusive. So I downloaded a fresh driver and installed that but the problem still exists. I have to say, the problem is only apparent in one place, namely when trying to rename a favourites bar icon, so it's not a big issue! I have a feeling that there's some malware on my computer because there have been other strange incidents recently, including emails to me being bounced back to the sender.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to change another keyboard for test?

In addition, according to your description, I suggest you use your antivirus to scan the whole computer and deal with the threat.

Besides that, I also suggest you try to reset the Internet Explorer to check if it could resolve the issue:

1.Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button.  In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

3.Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5.Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

6.In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

7.When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

8.Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Karen Hu

Friday, October 17, 2014 8:56 AM