Dual Boot XP and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, I've recently installed Vista and found several programs I once ran under XP, no longer run with Vista.

I dug out an old hard drive I had laying around and installed XP onto it, thinking I'll be able to choose at boot what OS to run.

XP installed fine, Restarted straight in, no problems. However for some reason now, Every time my computer boots, It goes straight into Vista, no option. No mention of XP.

Is there a way I can choose which OS I want to load?

I booted XP about 3 times (Once during install, Once during driver install and again for more driver install).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 12:30 PM

All replies

• hello,

i think u choosed upgrade windows during installing windows vista

u must install xp at first then install vista

during installing vista , it will ask u ( upgrade or clean installation)

choose clean installtion and install it on a diff. drive

Friday, February 9, 2007 6:32 PM
  • check firstly d boot file which is in the .txt format in d drive where d Xp is installed. luk in for d time option...wether it is appropriate or not.

second thing does your RAM support dis both vista and Xp capability ?

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:32 PM
  • As suggested, install XP, then Install Vista. DO NOT choose UPGRADE.

In this case, Vista boot menu will got dual boot options.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Edit the Boot.ini file on first partition of HDD 0.  Add the location, i.e. Disk 1 vol 1, of the xp installation to the boot.ini. or you could boot to recovery console and run the bootcfg /rebuild command.  I hope this helps..

Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:27 PM
  • If he choose upgrade....that XP will disappear..
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:35 AM
  • During boot up (on the black screen), keep tapping the "F5" button. When the boot screen shows, select the appropriate hard drive. You might need to note down which hard drive contains which OS (as they usually show a whole load of random numbers and letters, but are usually easy to distinguish).

Hope this helped.  

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:54 PM
  • You can also install VistaBootPro to modify the boot menu of Vista.

It may help to enable the boot option of XP.

Monday, March 5, 2007 6:26 PM
  • I recomend to do a dual boot that you use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10. I am a novice and had no trouble. Acronis wizard helps you partition  your drive and assign drive letters. It gives you the choice of operating systems on bootup
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you to do a startup recovery through booting the Vista DVD.  After installed Vista if we installed XP, it won't boot properly or we will not be having a option to choose XP to boot.

To fix this issue boot your computer using Vista DVD >> then select "Repair tools" from the "Install now" window.

>> then Vista will automatically will start the startup repair. If it fails to do automatically, don't worry enter in to the repair tools window >> from there choose "Startup repair" manually>> then reboot your computer now you will be getting an option to boot XP as "Earlier version of Windows".

I am sure it will work 100%.

Good luck!

- Mathan Raj A

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:36 AM
  • It's the solution to receovery Vista after install XP over it.
    Seem he did not come back here......
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:00 PM
  • how can i install windows xp sp2, into  windows Vista Home Premium already install in my computer using a second hard drive to do the dual boot.

thank you Hector 11/03/07 5:29 PM.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I have the same problem as Hector.  I have Vista on my C drive.  I have install a second drive and would like to install XP with a boot option on start up.  When I try to load XP, I get a blue screen error after windows loads and I have to restart.  Thanks.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:15 AM
  •  PURITyKin wrote:
    Good day, I've recently installed Vista and found several programs I once ran under XP, no longer run with Vista.

I dug out an old hard drive I had laying around and installed XP onto it, thinking I'll be able to choose at boot what OS to run.

XP installed fine, Restarted straight in, no problems. However for some reason now, Every time my computer boots, It goes straight into Vista, no option. No mention of XP.

Is there a way I can choose which OS I want to load?

I booted XP about 3 times (Once during install, Once during driver install and again for more driver install).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:53 AM