locked
Problem to display up-to-date data into Gantt spreadsheet resource field with fixed duration & Work? RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hi,

    CONTEXT 1 Fixed Duration

    A   task  with

    • type = Fixed duration
    • Effort driven = No
    • Allocated resources=PP 100% without exception workday
    • Calendar = standard
    • Entered duration = 2

    Result

    • Calculated  Work = 16h Ok

    New action

    I enter directly  8h into work field of the Gantt spreadsheet and Project suggests to:

    • Decrease the hours resources work per day
    • Decrease task duration

    PROBLEM

    If I select the first option,  the resource name field of the Gantt spreadsheet, PP  is not suffixed with [50%] as expected (?!?)

    But when I check with Task usage view, it's Ok,  PP allocated work is 4 h on each day

     

    CONTEXT 2 - Fixed Work

    A   task  with

    • type = Fixed Work
    • Effort driven = Yes (mandatory)
    • Calendar = standard
    • Entered Work= 16h
    • Allocated resources=PP 100% without exception workday

    Result

    • Calculated  Duration = 2 days Ok

    New action

    I enter directly  8 days  into duration field of the Gantt spreadsheet and Project suggests to:

    • Work required to do this task has increased, so it will take longer
    • Resources will work fewer hour per day, so the task will take longer

    PROBLEM

    If I select the second option,  the resource name field of the Gantt spreadsheet, PP  is not suffixed with [25%] as expected (?!?)

    But when I check with Task usage view, it's Ok,  PP allocated work is 2 h on each day

     

    QUESTION

    Is it just a displaying problem into the Resource Name field of the Gantt spreadsheet ?

     

    Could someone explain me why?

    Thanks a lot in advance


    • Edited by technet65 Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:48 PM modification title
    • Changed type technet65 Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:38 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

  • technet65 --

    Please repost this question in the Microsoft Project user forum.  Posting your question in this forum guarantees that none of our Microsoft Project community users will ever see it.


    Dale A. Howard [MVP]

    Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:34 PM
  • The answer to both of your questions is that the value you see displayed in the Gantt chart view and the Task Form is the original value assigned not the recalculated value.  To see the correct value you need to insert the Peak field in either the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

    Although the post noted below references Project 2010, it applies to Project 2013 as well.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

    I hope this helps.

    Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Hi Julie,

    Thanks a lot for your response.

    I invite you to read Rod's response about my question (click on here) because there is a hyperlink to a free VBA macro to add  and which fixes this problem .

    Again thanks for your help

    Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:28 PM