Effects of Re inherting the permissions of sharepoint site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a scenario where we have a sharepoint site(top level) with read access, we have one subsite(2nd level) under this site which has unique permissions and has full access. and we have another sub site(3rd level) under 2nd level site which inherts permissions.

Now, we have around 800 sub sites(4th level) under 3rd level site with some having inherting permissions and some having unique permissions.

Totally struture is top level(read acces) -> 2nd level(unique permissions,full access) -> 3rd level(inheriting permssions) -> 4th level(800 sub sites of 3rd level, some inherits, some unique).

The structure is as below

Now when i turn on the inheritance at the 2nd level from top level. we see that all the 800 sites in 4 th level's permission is degraded from full to read. ideally speaking this should happen only to the sites which inhertied from the 3 rd level sites. but why did the other sites which had unique permissions also got affected? what could be the possibilities that could degrade all 800 sites access from full to read.

Please share your thoughts on this and thanks for your help.

Thanks,
    Raghu

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:59 PM

All replies

• It would be helpful to know what version your farm is there were several permissions related issuse that have occurred over the years.  The first step would be to make sure you have all cumulative updates applied for your farm version.

Is it the entire site, or are there certain objects are degraded to read?

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:07 PM
  • H Chris,

Thanks for your reply. i am not sure of the farm version we are just working at site level. and it is the entire site that is degraded to read.
    Please tell me how did re inherting permissions at site level overwrote the unique permissions of subsite level?
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
    Raghu 

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:23 AM