none
Document Set and List Auditing issues

Question

• Hi,

We have a document set and a list in sharepoint 2016. I have enabled auditing them through 'Information Management Policy Settings' for viewing and editing records and documents.

I am trying to write a custom auditing solution using SpAuditQuery. However, I was not getting much luck with that. Hence decided to look at the AuditData table within the content database. Surprisingly, this table is not getting populated when I view an item. 

So decided to check through sharepoint's 'Most Popular Items'. I don't see this getting updated either. 

Has anyone got an idea how we can capture item level viewing on sharepoint list or document set?

Many thanks,

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:06 PM

All replies

• You can follow this article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/View-audit-log-reports-4293e8d5-4e7d-4201-b8ac-c8e63a100131 which can help you to fetch such reports.

This another resource https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/126012-how-to-track-changes-on-sharepoint-server-2013 also provides step-wise instructions to enable security auditing and capture item level reports on SharePoint server.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Tldy,

Before auditing, the Reporting feature under Site Collection Feature should be activated.

Go to Site -> Site Settings -> Site Collection Administration  -> Site Collection Features -> activate Reporting feature.

Ensure all related Audit Log Trimming timer job are enabled and running as expected.

I suggest you going to Site -> Site Settings -> Site Collection Administration->Site collection audit settings ->enable audit for all the site collection.

Then run Audit Log Trimming timer job manually from CA. 

Then go to site-> Site Settings - > Site Collection Administration  ->Audit log Reports, check whether there is data generated.

Reference:

http://www.knowledge-vault.com/blog/office365/enabling-sharepoint-site-collections.html

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Hi Lisa & Andres,

Thanks for your reply. I have done all these settings changes.

However, when I view the audit reports, I can only see viewing documents within the document set. Not the document set which shows all the metadata associated with the document set.

I want both to be generated.

Is it not possible in sharpeoint?

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi Tldy,

It is by designer that there is Audit data and Report data, there is no OOTB method that shows all the metadata associated with the document set.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

In a document set, you get to view the metadata and has an option to open any of the documents associated with the item (as you can upload multiple documents in a single item). What we want to see is an audit report which shows the number of times people have viewed an item (no necessarily document) within a document set.

regards,

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:03 PM