none
DPM 2007 with stand-alone tape drive - Tape backup fails when tape is changed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2007 server running on Windows Server 2008 R2 with a stand-alone LTO 2 drive connected.

When I run a tape backup that is larger than could fit on one tape, DPM writes the first tape until it is full and then waits for a new tape to be inserted into the drive.
    But as soon as I insert a new tape, the tape backup job fails with these two alert:

Description: Backup to tape failed.
    Unexpected tape detected in Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drive in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drive

Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drive (ID 24050)

What should I do so that DPM will write the first tape until it is full, waits for a new tape to be inserted and then continue?

Monday, June 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Joris,

Please prepare all your tapes so that DPM recognizes them as free tapes prior to using them for backup jobs.  If another backup application used them before then you must erase the tapes.  If DPM used them previously but have not yet expired, then they should not be re-introduced when prompted for free media.   You can run a tape management report to see what tapes are overdue, or when they are due back to be reused.

Also since this is a standalone tape drive - During a tape backup if a tape becomes full, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Joris,

Please prepare all your tapes so that DPM recognizes them as free tapes prior to using them for backup jobs.  If another backup application used them before then you must erase the tapes.  If DPM used them previously but have not yet expired, then they should not be re-introduced when prompted for free media.   You can run a tape management report to see what tapes are overdue, or when they are due back to be reused.

Also since this is a standalone tape drive - During a tape backup if a tape becomes full, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Do you have any idea how this can be achieved in DPM 2010 ?

Also I would like to use 1 TAPE only each time and backup there 2 Protection Groups. The problem is now that when I start both groups at the same time I get timeouts.
    It would still like to start both at the same time, but just start one first and the other immediatly after finishing the first.

Any idea how this is can be done ?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:28 AM
  • I was not aware that the key did not work in DPM 2010, I'm researching the issue and will get back to you.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:05 PM
  • OK - I did some testing and at first it did not appear to be working, but after I rebooted the DPM 2010 server, it was honored and is now waiting for tape as expected. 
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:01 PM